DS -bred to PHA BUT DS FREE BULL

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

Wut do you think. I have a DS positive female and I would like to use a TH PHA POSITIVE BULL THAT IS DS FREE YES DS FREE.: Shes clean otherwise-and I,m not interested in all the  TH PHA hysterics;long discourses about the end of cattle as we know them etc. Its  a waste of time and we have ALL seen clean ones come out of those woodpiles-just don't comment in that regard.-If she has a heifer Ill breed it clean and so forth.-I am looking to get the thickness I want to add to a documented low BW maternal but easy keeping line-that I've had since 1990, Thanks in advance. O0

mbigelow

The only issue it that the sire is PHA positive.  This creates a problem in that it sits on the same allele and seems to bring out the DS and make it more prominent.(i.e. heterozygous calves can and do exist DS conditions and are more prone to when also carriers of PHA ) which the calf would have a 50% chance of getting. If you are good with it then go for it. The calf otherwise should have no issues and if you plan on keeping it an breeding clean then there really is no issue.

HGC

When DS first started to be discussed we had a calf that I suspected was DS positive.  I sent pictures and blood samples of the calf and its dam to Dr. Beaver.  He confirmed that it was DS.  The mating was a PHA positive DS free cow to a PHA free DS untested bull (apparently positive).  Dr. Beaver did tell me that there was a DS PHA interaction.

The calf could walk and I did get her up to about 900# before I put her in the freezer.

Okotoks

I thought I saw somewhere the chance of a deformed calf was higher when you mated a DSC to a PHAC than if you mated a DSC to a DSC.