Dying My Steer poll

Help Support Steer Planet:

There are two terribly placed white spots on my black steer. What do I do?

• paint them black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dont wash the steer for 3 days prier to dying him black

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

librarian

I voted, but your poll may be skewed by people like me that don't show.
I just think show what you've got, not what you wish you had, but that's probably a very cranky point of view. Good luck either way. I think the spots are neat.

vc

At most jackpots your free to do most anything as far as painting/dyeing your calves. I know our state and county fair rules do not allow you to change the animals natural color, you can dye the black, black, but you can not dye white, black, and if you were to and win, I'm am sure there would be a protest and a big mess over it.
Sometimes you get those better calves for a little cheaper just because of the white and where it is on the animal. The other issue with animals and white on the body is trying to play within the rules and dye the black without getting in on the white, one mistake and you have a new mess to deal with.

mandi_a97

You really should check with the rules at the shows that you are going to to see if paints and dyes are allowed or not first.

Tallcool1

I am really not a huge fan of dye.  I just don't think it makes that much difference. 

Now, if you have a black and white one, and the white is at all of the wrong places...that is a different story.  Say you have one with a white flank, white on their front legs, or maybe white on their tail head, it can really change the way that the calf looks.  It can make them look short legged, shallow flanked, or funky in their top.

My advice is to dye the areas that detract from the quality of the calf, and leave the rest.  This will keep people from thinking you altered the color of the animal in the event that you feel some people might complain about it.  Every show has different rules....I am not saying to break the rules.  You can decide on that on your own.

DLD

It all depends on the rules where you're going to be showing him.  If it's against the rules, I'd leave it alone, but if it's not and you feel like it would help him place better, then go for it.  You will have to dye those white spots multiple times to get them truly black, especially if you only use black. Don't know about the three day thing - we usually wash them before we clip, and dye them after we clip, sometimes the same day, sometimes a day or two later (depending on how many we have to clip) but we try to clip as close to the show as possible for the freshest look.