Earliest you have weaned and shown a calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

We have a mid february calf that looks like she could be very nice.  My son (who is nine wants) to wean her in early may and take her to the Junior nationals.  Has anyone taken one off of a good milking cow this early and had good results.  She would be 3 months when weaned and 4 months at the junior nationals. I am just curious about everyones thoughts. I normally would not wean a February till September or October depending on our fall pastures.

simba

You could probably do it, but it wouldn't be ideal. Usually you can bring a nurse cow so you don't have to ween the calf so young. If I were you I'd check into the rules and consider bringing the cow too, even if she won't be shown. It's more work, but way better for the calf.

RyanChandler

The calf will gain more on full feed at 3 months that it will with any amount of just milk.  Ive heard of guys weaning show calves as early as 55 days.  Buy you a bag of milk replacer and put a scoop over the feed.  They'll love it and it'll really put the flesh on em. 

GKE Cattle

Years ago, we early weaned a set of mid march calves in mid july..  they were on creep good and kept on eating.    It worked, bull calf and heifer calf champion at two state fairs and champion jr. get of sire.  Looking back now though, I wish we would have just day weaned them till the middle of August, but I wanted the cows to stay with the herd bull and that was not at the home place. 
My suggestion is to day wean the calf till about 2 weeks till you are ready to go to Jr. nationals, by then the calf will not wean hard and will not miss mom to much.    Also when you get home, put the calf back with the cow,,,I bet she will still take it and will come back to her milk.  I have seen this happen Many times.

C

cornish

GKE Cattle said:
Years ago, we early weaned a set of mid march calves in mid july..  they were on creep good and kept on eating.    It worked, bull calf and heifer calf champion at two state fairs and champion jr. get of sire.  Looking back now though, I wish we would have just day weaned them till the middle of August, but I wanted the cows to stay with the herd bull and that was not at the home place.   
My suggestion is to day wean the calf till about 2 weeks till you are ready to go to Jr. nationals, by then the calf will not wean hard and will not miss mom to much.    Also when you get home, put the calf back with the cow,,,I bet she will still take it and will come back to her milk.  I have seen this happen Many times.

I see this as not very good advice--- and believe weaning and then coming back to milk more than 2 weeks later to be extremely hard on a cow's bag.