early morning calving cks have begun

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shorthorns4us

Fun Post!  Just had to share a story from last year-  I do move the 1st calf heifers up to a lot by the barn so that they can be shuffled inside very easily and quickly during their calving time.  My husband works nights and I work days so it works out that someone is always home to watch and help.  I got home after work one night and was just loafing around the barn yard checking the other cows, playing with the dog, etc. and then when I went to feed the heifers for the evening-- I had 2 at the same stage- both with little front feet sticking out-- I didn't even notice them until I was carrying the bucket to the feed bunk--now the funny part was that the one heifer was totally occupied with having that calf and didn't come up-- the other heifer was in labor- had the feet sticking out and still saw me at the bunk and totally lost interest in calving-- she wanted her feed now!  So here she is standing at the bunk eating contently with feet sticking out--- I guess you kind of had to be there to see this picture--but that heifer has always been notorious about thinking with her stomach!  LOL
Both had babies fine in the end.
EF