"Easy" (Coalpit Creek Leader 6th)

Help Support Steer Planet:

SeannyT

Great pictures of both the animals and the land down your way. He's got some tremendous depth and thickness to him. We're looking forward to having some calves off of him- unfortunately the semen arrived a little too late for our breeding season this spring so we won't have any calves from Leader 6th until 2014.

RedBulls

SeannyT said:
Great pictures of both the animals and the land down your way. He's got some tremendous depth and thickness to him. We're looking forward to having some calves off of him- unfortunately the semen arrived a little too late for our breeding season this spring so we won't have any calves from Leader 6th until 2014.
Sorry the semen delivery was delayed! Hope it wasn't anything on my end? You sure had a nice offering in the Sun Country Sale last spring.

huntaway

The light roan bull calf on your website looks great, what happened to him. Easy looks to be doing a good job.

RedBulls

huntaway said:
The light roan bull calf on your website looks great, what happened to him. Easy looks to be doing a good job.

Huntaway, That is YY Yellowstone Leader 174Y. His dam is a "Dover" daughter. Her dam is the light roan cow/calf with mountains in background pictured above. This light roan cow is heavily influenced by RB Ruby 126th and Byland Eagle f58.

174's BW was 79 lbs (83 adj.) WW 663. He has been breeding heifers in the mountains of Central Montana this summer. I sold him with the option to buy him back this fall, as I think he would make some great blue-roan cows or possibly work to make good functional show cattle. I think this is the picture you refer to? It's from my cell phone and lacks in quality. I'm posting another picture of him as newborn with his first calf dam. These Dover daughters have all been thrilled to be moms! "Easy's" calves don't appear to have a lot of substance when new, but they sure develop well.

CPCLeaderson2011-09-04_12-11-56_877.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

sue

Ralph- I wanted to call you after I saw the July Ad. It spoke to me ! Most impressive page in the whole issue.  thanks for doing what you do.  ;)

RedBulls

sue said:
Ralph- I wanted to call you after I saw the July Ad. It spoke to me ! Most impressive page in the whole issue.  thanks for doing what you do.  ;)

Thanks Sue. Just cattle being cattle! We have to run on irrigated pasture, as this area averages less than 12 in. of precipitation. The calves are developed solely on grass and mother's milk. Indications are that the price of grain isn't going to ease anytime soon so genetics that can perform on grass should become more of an asset. Your cattle certainly fall into this category. We just have to keep plugging away at bringing Commercial relevance back to the Shorthorn breed! I applaud the Canadians, as the majority of their advertising is focused at the commercial cattle industry. It seems to be getting results. More and more Canadian commercial cow/calf operators are using Shorthorn genetics, and I hear that feeders up there are actually seeking out signs of "roaning" in the cattle they buy. It can happen here if more attention is paid to the convenience traits like calving ease, longevity, feet, udders, and "doability". 

SeannyT

RedBulls said:
SeannyT said:
Sorry the semen delivery was delayed! Hope it wasn't anything on my end? You sure had a nice offering in the Sun Country Sale last spring.

Thanks, we thought so too. And I'd have to ask dad but I think the reason for the delay had nothing to do with you- rather the shipping once in Canada. Regardless he'll get used next spring for sure.

RedBulls

garybob said:
Is the light roan bull working at McMillan's? Just curious.

GB
He was, Gary. He took care of his assignments and moved on to a neighboring place (a couple times). I'm in great hopes that his "blue roans" will impress that neighbor next year. He's now in the "bull pen" for the remainder of the summer.