Eating

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

We use probiotics as well. has anyone tried Glu-coat? Some folks say it works.
Is he on a sweet feed? If not we have added molassess pour on and it worked as well.

BrechtCattleCo

He could have cocsidiosis (not sure on spelling) but if he does I reccomend Corid, they sell it at the farmstore, if you need more details PM me

farmin female

First, make sure he isnt' sick.  Does he act sick?  Does he look sick?  Use your common sense or call a vet.  If he is just not eating, there can be a couple things you can try.  If he has been a good eater and is just off his feed, then as tough as it is, back off a few days and just feed him good grass hay.  A bunch of it.  then start adding feed back in to his diet.  Add a high fat supplement.  I have used Purinas Power Fuel and it works well.  You can add Glu-coate to it also or just add some molasses to his feed to make it more attractive.  Molasses is a good energy source that is not a fat product.  Call one of the feed nutrionists at Purina or Showmaster and talk with them.  They will give you advise also.  Bran will add cover as will barley and cooked corn.  It just depends on what your calf will eat.  Probiotics never hurt either.  At best you will only get about 75 to 100 lbs on him and that is pushing it.  Good luck.

Earthmover

If your show is 1-22 your already behind, he should be over 1200 now. You should rethink your feed program before next year. As for this year get himm on some good 2nd cut grass hay for a couple days and hold the feed. Then start him back with fresh feed, not waht you have now. If he's not eating right in 4 days call your vet. You probably were pushing him too hard and killed the bugs in his belly. Been there, good luck.

Bradenh

give vitacharge. a product from vitaferm. if he has coccsidiosis he will have bad stinking scours. and if he has that you may be s.o.l