electrice fence problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

jnm

I apparently have a short in an electric fence but can't find it. I've walked the fence a couple of times looking for all the usual problems but still not fixed. I see testers advertised that point to the short. they are expensive but if they work, it would be worth it. Does anyone have any experience with these? Models you reccommend?

jackpotcattle

Get the Gallagher tester. It shows which direction the short is and how many amps are being lost. We have 3 of them (one in every outfit) They have saved us many hours messing with fence. They cost around 110.

bcosu

i would suggest checking the ground from the box as well. also, i have heard of wires in the box being broken and actually shorted in the box. you might check those if you feel like you have walked the fence enough.

Bulldaddy

Had one in the charger itself yesterday and it was only a couple of months old.  Very frustrating.  From now on, nothing but Gallagar chargers for me.  They seem to be the most reliable. 

OH Breeder

I had one charger that if you didn't make a complete circuit it would show as shorted out. We walked the fence for days and found nothing. The ground was solid. When I finally made a bridge so that the it made a complete circle around the lot it went away. I am not sure why this made a big deal. But Whenever i run fence now I make sure it circles back around to where it starts and it shows no shorts.
YOu mean the pitchfork isn't good tester? LOL. ;D