Energetic American?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

Son has a new steer this year, a american steer probably weights 700-750?  Maybe more.  When first got him got the halter on him and seemed pretty gentle.
But now that has grown a bit has decided he doesn't much like the halter or to lead at all.  Runs like the dickens and show us who's boss here lately.
Can get him tied but he sure doesn't like it.  Try to rub him and scratch his neck talk nice, but know once he gets untied he's gone!  Anyway, need some suggestions for some help...
What do you do with the tough ones to make em settle down and lead?!?

Trails End Ranch

We have had good luck with a donkey. Where the donkey wants to go the donkey will go. it really helps to have something that will stand there with the steer tied to it and yet is strong enough to hold him if he decides to go. Hope this helps.

Silver

Just put him in the chute and  get your hands all over him so that he gets exposure to humans. Then once you get him calmed down. Get a pipe trailer like this (http://candrmachining.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/C__R_Parts_10.134145823_std.JPG) and hook it to a side by side, a tractor, a pickup whatever works for you. The thing I like about this is that you can walk four calves at once without them becoming tangled. Have somebody to drive and somebody to walk along side the steer. Hook his lead rope right to the trailer close enough to the center that he cant swing around out of his box. Then get a regular lariat to put around his neck for security, and you can hand the person walking next to him a rope thats is hooked to his halter. Then just put the miles on him and he'll get the picture. If you don't happen to have a trailer like that, I saw this guy somewhere on this website with a little jhon deere tractor with a rod through the three point hitch with a couple of calves tied to that. I  have heard that donkeys work well, but I also know about a donkey and a steer that got hooked around a post somehow and the steer pulled the rope tight and strangled the donkey. Use what resources you have, but the best thing you can do is just expose the calf to people. Oh yeah and if all else fails try a sullivan breaking halter.

kobo_ranch

I know there's posts on here about the donkey thing...  we do have a jenny (with sheep) not real gentle, but tell me again do you just put a halter on them or a harness?
tie the halter to that?
We have a big ole heavy homemade chute my Dad made when I was a kid and ain't nothin turning it over... that steers been in there, washed brushed etc.  He's not that bad just has his days and plenty strong, just tired of him not leading.  Especially hates husband and my son.  (they haven't spent as much time with him).  We also have a real sweet heifer but again, she won't lead and jumps at you after the tug... very stubborn.
Thanks for the help!  Any more greatly appreciated.

Trails End Ranch

Well when we break calves we usually just put the calf in the chute, put a halter on it and we are lucky enough to have a donkey who is very tame and will walk up next to the chute and we tie the calf's halter to the donkey and let it go. As far as the donkey goes we just use a strap that you can tighten down ( like the ones they use on dairy cattle) that has a ring in it and wrap it around the donkey's neck, tie the calf to it and you should be set, we usually leave about 2 feet of slack in the rope.

cdalton9008

i would try a donkey and if all else fails just put a nose ring in him. that's usually the best thing to do with americans anyway

Silver

cdalton9008 said:
i would try a donkey and if all else fails just put a nose ring in him. that's usually the best thing to do with americans anyway

I never thought about a nose ring but that's a good idea. Might try a pair of locking nose tongs first.

advocate

I'd ring the crazy sob then throw him on the donkey lifes way to short