Enlighten me on show supply suppliers for JR Natl's!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Just wondering what Sullivan is doing to "benefit" the Jr's , in order to get a monopoly on being the only supplier of show supplies at several Jr Natl shows? Just curious.

red roan

Could be because the contracts were done over a year ago before weavers started or maybe because there a corporation  and not family owned don't know for sure call john and ask him

AAOK

Probably paid a BIG price to be the exclusive Supplies vendor.  It takes a lot of money to put on these events.  Our Oklahoma MA Assoc. has hosted three times, and it's always been quite a chore to put together the funding.

Jill

I don't know I got an mail stating that if you wanted to order from someone else they wouldn't be allowed like they have been in the past.  From what I remember there have always been multiple suppliers in the barns I don't remember anyone ever having an exclusive, not sure what is going on.

Doc

red roan said:
Could be because the contracts were done over a year ago before weavers started or maybe because there a corporation  and not family owned don't know for sure call john and ask him

I wasn't talking about just Weavers. I don't understand what difference being a corp. woud matter. I hate to see some of the smaller guys lose an opportunity to make , I would think a good portion of their yearly sales. I  was talking about all the different suppliers, including a lot of ones that sold Sullivan products & other types also. I mean if they gave a bunch of money to sponsor the shows , then thats great. But I just hate monopolies in any market. It takes away your bargaining power. Plus it gives that company the ability to charge whatever they want to , if they so choose.

oakview

I was told that a 'donation' was made to several national junior shows in exchange for exclusive show supply sales rights.  Someone mentioned earlier the amount of money it takes to put on one of these events and a sizable donation would be hard to turn down.  I like competition as much as the next guy, but even our school 'sells' the right to exclusive pop sales to Coke.  If this is indeed what happened, it seems like it could be a deal that helps both parties.

twistedhshowstock

Its just like with any industry, when Sullivan's or Hamm's or Texas Show Supply or any other show supply dealer pulls a trailer in there and sets up, they pay a vendor fee.  Its basically a sponsorship where part of their endoresement is getting to set up a trailer and sell things.  Just like with any sponsor situation some sponsors are willing to pay more money in order to be the only sponor in their category there.  Think of it the same as when you go to a big convention center or dome, coke or pepsi are ussually a sponsor, and whichever one is a sponsor is the one that is sold there.  They pay bigger money to be able to be the only soft drink company with their name up.  It is very rare, if ever anymore, that you see both coke and pepsi sponsoring.  Same goes here, Sullivans is willing to pay a bigger fee in order to be the only tack vendor there.  And dont hold me to it, but I think Sullivan's in addition to paying a higher vendor feel will often buy an additional sponsorship package on top of their vendor fee.  Just like Ford is the dominant title sponsor of the PBR and Wrangler and Dodge are the dominant Title sponsors of the PRCA, Sullivan's is fast becoming the Dominant title sponsor of the show world, yes part of it is because they can afford it, but they are also larger because they have 2 locations.  And for what its worth Sullivan's started family owned as well, and the family is till pretty dominant in the company from what I know.  Sullivan's got as big as they are by being on the frontline of the industry, offering a quality product, and backing with knowledgeable customer service.  How many Sullivan's products do you see with labels that say "Compare to________ from ______company."  Yet almost every product from every other company says on the label something like "Compare to Revive from Sullivan's Show Supply"
As to what they are doing for the juniors, i personally think Sullivan's offers more programs that benefit Jr's than any other show supply company out there..and the major donations they are making to these association are probably a large part of the reason that it is even possible for there to be a National Show for the kids to go to.

jsull

Hello STEER PLANET  crew .This is John Sullivan .  To explain  this post on jr. hfr. shows. The hereford assoc  visited with us about a corporate sponsorship that included sponsoring their fitting contest and showmanship contest. We proudly accepted. The simmental  group contacted us  and preferred to work with one supplier and requested we donate prizes for the show, we donated fans and other prizes for the fitting contest. The shorthorn show is in Indiana and Indiana show supplier Sinnamon show supply is the  supplier  going to this show  .Scott Sinnamon and Sullivan's  both contributed sponsorship prizes and awards.We were not trying to upset pro-fit supply or cause a commotion. We believe in supporting the youth and are trying to in many ways... show sponsorships, youth scholarships and stock show university are just a few and along the way promote our company.  Doc, there will not be an increase in prices at these events, I  can assure you of that. I would like to thank all our customers ,we really enjoy creating livestock supply  products and all the great people and customers associated with it.  Thank you for the support. If you have any questions please feel free  to contact me at my cell  712  263 0263.Tthank you,  John Sullivan

Doc

jsull said:
Hello STEER PLANET  crew .This is John Sullivan .  To explain  this post on jr. hfr. shows. The hereford assoc  visited with us about a corporate sponsorship that included sponsoring their fitting contest and showmanship contest. We proudly accepted. The simmental  group contacted us  and preferred to work with one supplier and requested we donate prizes for the show, we donated fans and other prizes for the fitting contest. The shorthorn show is in Indiana and Indiana show supplier Sinnamon show supply is the  supplier  going to this show   .Scott Sinnamon and Sullivan's  both contributed sponsorship prizes and awards.We were not trying to upset pro-fit supply or cause a commotion. We believe in supporting the youth and are trying to in many ways... show sponsorships, youth scholarships and stock show university are just a few and along the way promote our company.  Doc, there will not be an increase in prices at these events, I  can assure you of that. I would like to thank all our customers ,we really enjoy creating livestock supply  products and all the great people and customers associated with it.  Thank you for the support. If you have any questions please feel free  to contact me at my cell  712  263 0263.Tthank you,  John Sullivan

Hey great to hear from you about this John. I wasn't asking about it just because of pro-fit. I think it's great all you do for the youth & applaude you for it. Like I said in an earlier post , it just makes me nervous any time someone has a monopoly on supplying something . Wether it is show supplies, gasoline, groceries, or whatever. I also think that the ASA should have annouced the reason behind their decision to do this. Maybe they did & I'm just not in the loop. Once again , thanks for what you do for the youth. Mike Davis aka Doc

chiangus

jsull said:
Hello STEER PLANET  crew .This is John Sullivan .  To explain  this post on jr. hfr. shows. The hereford assoc  visited with us about a corporate sponsorship that included sponsoring their fitting contest and showmanship contest. We proudly accepted. The simmental  group contacted us  and preferred to work with one supplier and requested we donate prizes for the show, we donated fans and other prizes for the fitting contest. The shorthorn show is in Indiana and Indiana show supplier Sinnamon show supply is the  supplier  going to this show   .Scott Sinnamon and Sullivan's  both contributed sponsorship prizes and awards.We were not trying to upset pro-fit supply or cause a commotion. We believe in supporting the youth and are trying to in many ways... show sponsorships, youth scholarships and stock show university are just a few and along the way promote our company.  Doc, there will not be an increase in prices at these events, I  can assure you of that. I would like to thank all our customers ,we really enjoy creating livestock supply  products and all the great people and customers associated with it.  Thank you for the support. If you have any questions please feel free  to contact me at my cell  712  263 0263.Tthank you,  John Sullivan

(thumbsup) Scholarships and your Stock Show U  (thumbsup)

You guys have been going a lot of great things and I am proud buyer of your products.

sue

Wow it's good to hear that Hamm's  supplies still exsist??
I am showing my age but that was one of the 1st that I can remember after the wax bars. 3M adhesive from the auto supply dealer and a bale of hay to stand on ( im short) . I could do a tail like no other - remember the tail ties?  Purple oil and we mixed it with something. I remember learning to fit and clip was gathering information from a wide variety of demonstration sponsored by different 4-h clubs or working for different breeders. I worked for alot of different breeders too.

Competition is all a part of it... I guess that's why we show. You can teach the kid about selection, go to alot breeders and look, bid and hopefully take the best one home.

Imagine if we all showed heifers or steers from ONE breeder, only wore wrangler jeans, pink polo shirts from ralph lauren and boots from Justins.

Just a thought, I drive a dodge but I like ford's too.

oakview

My wife won't let me wear pink polos anymore and boots hurt my feet.  By the way, I still have my old Patterson Supply show box and I do miss driving 8 miles to get my purple oil!

showpappy

I am also proud to support Sullivan Supply.  They are great supporters of youth in many ways.  You can tell they have a passion for their baby (supply company).  The performance of their products is superior and they have given back a lot and didn’t have to.  Good people, good family.
Hamms is a nice company that I do a little bit of business with also, good people.
On Weaver, not a big fan of the performance of their adhesives and it seems they have tried to buy their way into this business.  When Weaver first started trying to make a splash I googled them and learned a lot.  Look up www.capitalpartners.com.  This is the owners of Weaver.  They are a huge buying and selling acquisitions firm, Warren Buffett style based out of Greenwich, CT.  Doubt they’ve ever seen a cow.  I will keep my dollars in the Midwest.

OH Breeder

showpappy said:
I am also proud to support Sullivan Supply.  They are great supporters of youth in many ways.  You can tell they have a passion for their baby (supply company).  The performance of their products is superior and they have given back a lot and didn’t have to.  Good people, good family.
Hamms is a nice company that I do a little bit of business with also, good people.
On Weaver, not a big fan of the performance of their adhesives and it seems they have tried to buy their way into this business.  When Weaver first started trying to make a splash I googled them and learned a lot.  Look up www.capitalpartners.com.  This is the owners of Weaver.  They are a huge buying and selling acquisitions firm, Warren Buffett style based out of Greenwich, CT.  Doubt they’ve ever seen a cow.  I will keep my dollars in the Midwest.

Weaver LEather or Weaver Show products. It really doesn't matter either way. I belong to a company that was "acquired" it has NOT changed our day to day operations and it HAS NOT change our customer service. We were small and independant and now belong to 69 other national and international companies. We still have the best customer service and products in our industry. Our coporate offices changed some of our benefits but we offer the same thing with the same service. It doesn't matter to me where the money comes from as long as its good old USA. Competition is good for the price of products. The more competition the more ti drives the price down for the consumer that is simple economics. Exlcusivity removes competition and therefore allows the market to charge what ever they can.

showcat

Nothing against Weaver or anyone else, OH Breeder.  But I'd preder to buy my show supplies from someone actually involved in the cattle business.

jason

Isn't it nice when speculation can end abruptly when you get the answer direct from the source.  I just wish we had more people that would step out and respond to questions about their bull or company.

Jill

Sorry, but I have to agree with Doc on this one, a Monopoly is never a good thing for anyone.  There is plenty of room for everyone and everyone has different products they like.  I guess in my opinion most people use Sullivan products, there isn't any reason that I can see to need an exclusive contract other than to shut someone else out.  I know for my family I like to write a check and they only take credit cards or cash and I don't like using either one,  so I have an issue there, so we buy our Sullivan product from Valley Vet because they are still more than happy to give me the customer service of taking a check from a 15 year customer.

iljmapmd

So what is the reason we show cattle? Is it not for the thrill of competition. EVERYTHING needs competition. Would you want to be the only person to take all the cows to one show and just show against yourself? Its the same concept. I don't think pro-fit meant anything bad about any other suppliers. They were just wanting there customers to know that there products would not be available for sale if they wanted to buy them. I use both products and love both lines! The Stierwalt line is new and exciting and the Sullivan products will always remain epic!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.