Everclear

Help Support Steer Planet:

roper

Has anyone used EVERCLEAR to calm your calves for a show?  If so , how many cc's do you recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.

flacowman

just remember that alcohol can make cattle mean the same as people, we tried it on a heifer that was just a tad jumpy and she tried to eat us alive, we repeated again at home to make sure and the same thing happened.  She was as sweet as could be every other day of her life except when she had a little alcohol in her system.  It's isn't much compared to their body weight but brain chemistry is complex and unpredictable.  Good luck though

showsteerdlux

We use the cheapest thing we can find at the liquor store, and I would agree, about 60 cc's should do the trick.

SWMO

Hope you fellas and your cattle are of legal age to drink!

I personally do not like this thread.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

just use ace, this is bad for the business if PETA hears about this they will give you hell.

Show Dad

WARNING: In some states as soon as you transfer the alcohol into another container (like a syringe or drenching gun) you need to be of legal drinking. And in some states giving alcohol to non-consenting individuals is a felony. And in some states livestock are considered non-consenting and the alcohol would need to be administered or prescribed by a veterinarian.

Ace is a controlled substance I believe and that would bring it's own legal problems.

linnettejane

totally unethical...and i believe giving alcohol to an animal could be considered animal abuse!

seriously, if it acts that bad...its not meant to be shown.......

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
If this is such a bad practice ,maybe we ought to quit prescribing people anti -depressants ...We use them to keep people calm .not hurt someone ,more njoyable to be around ...Would you consider that an abuse to humans or a way of making things work better for them ...

The Show

Alcohol is no worse than Ace. Ace is actually more illegal than alcohol because your not even supposed to be in possession of it if your not a licensed vet. Neither are being used for their intended purpose if your using it to calm a calf for a show, so their equally unethical. I say to each his own, and do what you see fit.

linnettejane

its just my opinion...i think its wrong and something that shouldnt be promoted as even an option...i think giving young kids the idea (and there are alot of young impressionable kids on this site) that they need to go out and buy alcohol  and give to their calf to make it behave in the ring is not the way to go....we should be giving them more ethical, appropriate, and legal solutions to a calf acting up instead of "getting it drunk"

anti depressants are made for human consumption, alcohol is made for human consumption....it becomes abuse when its not used the way it is intended to be used...everclear is not intended for the use of goofy acting show cattle that havent been worked with enough at home or have no business even being in the ring because of their disposition

again...my opinion...

cowgirl864

you tell them linnettejane, also the one thing that grates me is have a showmanship judge place a kid, who's calf is being a pain in the ring, higher than a child who's heifer is quiet, calm,& been worked with, because they worked so hard to keep it in control, thats my rant for the day

knabe

say we allowed a drug to make everything "even".  add in phony birth dates and ability to feed, showmanship, and the animal gets lost.  though i agree with most placings, some placings at the top are over-finished animals that don't seem to do anyone any good.  i would like to see more animals with better angles.  i remember at the cow palace last year, i walked in on a class and could have sworn they were maine's with as many animals that were too straight behind and tight in their pasterns, but it was angus.  about 60% of the animals were this way.  the maine's were about the same. 

dkttyler

Everclear ISN'T made for cattle. Heck if your animals aren't calm enough to be at a show LEAVE them at HOME.  It isn't safe for others who have taken the time to work with their calves on a regular basis. yes i know some animals from time to time will have a issue and it happens, but if you work with you calves as you should you should be able to deal with that kind of issue with out Ace, Everclear, anything Sullivans makes to calm calves.

To sum it up DON'T use any of that stuff and take the TIME and DO THE WORK!!! It's for YOUR safety and EVERYONE esles at a show.

pjkjr4

Here we go again. I read the OP question about 3 times, and never did I see he/she ask the question if you thought it was ethical to give Everclear or not. That's for them to decide in their circumstance. Not yours.

Now, from my experience. I mixed 75 cc of everclear with 1/2 gallon of cherry Kool Aid, and gave it through a drench gun for a fat steer. My 8 year old son was showing him. He wasn't bombed, just had a buzz, and it made him a little more hyper. I believe if I have to calm one down again, I will use melatonin from the drug store, and mix it in with the feed the day before and the day of the show.

SWMO

Personally most people I know that have a "buzz on" either act goofy, stupid or are just plain mean drunks.  Alcohol doesn't sound like the answer to "slowing an animal down".  Also pjkjr4, sugar tends to make most humans hyper and it sounds like the cherry koolaide mixed with alcohol stimulated your calf as sugar is intended to do.  JMO.

Once again, alcohol in the hands of an underage individual is just asking for trouble at a show.  Sometimes a seemingly innocent question posted can lead to unintended results.  Maybe the poster did ask for opinion on how everclear was used but it should be noted that it is an alcoholic substance that should not be in a minors possession. 

rackranch

Saw someone kill a steer with Everclear at a county show a few years back...Maybe they should have just had their kid in the barn working the steer instead???

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
i HAVEN'T  BEEN associated with the clubby breeds to many years but disposition is a genetic problem an definitely some sires have a peoblem ...
One thing I think more of the breeders could help these kids a lot is break those calves to lead at early age . I have seen calves in some of these pasture sales that I wouldn't take home no matter how good they looked ,if you can't get them broke for kids to work with that's a lot of money for just a real good wild steer ...This contributes to people trying different products trying to get a long with them.... THE breeders on a whole could help this problem in sire slection an service to their customers, most of these kids showing can't afford to buy a calf that is unmanage able ....

Jill

I thought everclear was to deaden the tail, learn something new every day.  See you can teach an old dog new tricks, although I don't think I'll be getting one drunk to get into the ring there are too many tried and try help aids for that. (clapping)