excused absences

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSLV

I am currently doing an argumentative essay for high school. I am from a county with no excused absences for 4h events. I am obviously arguing the fact that we should have these excused absences. Is there anyone with any input as to what I should speak to in my essay? JSLV

knabe

teachers get days off, as well as summers, plus their days are shorter than the private sector.

3  2    1    let the complaints start.

willow

We have the same rule in our district.  They excuse absences for illness, or family matters, nothing else.  In our family we do 4-h, we hunt, we have a very active life as most people on here probably do.  Who is the school to say when and why my children can be absent.  On the "unexcused absence notification" that our district sends out (this is for four unexcused absences mind you) it threatens community service, fines and incarceration.  Remember they concider an "unexcused absence" anything but, illness, or family matters even if you have prearranged it and gathered all work that will be missed ahead of time.  I understand the need for guidelines, because you will always have a handful that will ruin it for the majority, but really incarceration.  Just one more example of someone else whether it is the government, the schools, or a stranger trying to raise MY children.  Not everyone has hobbies that take place only in the summer, or after school.  Ok off my soap box!  Good luck with your speech.

SWMO

Illness is not considered an excused absense in our High School.  Consequently many of the students will go to school sick because they don't want the consequenses of an unexcused absense.  If you have a death in the IMMEDIATE family you have to provide a death certificate to prove that you should have been excused.  Close family friends deaths DO NOT COUNT.  Big brother has lost all common sense.  IT IS ABOUT MONEY.    If kids are absent, the school district loses money on that absent student.

I see private schools becoming more and more the chosen route for those parents that can afford it.

If they are in FFA and travel to a show it is considered an exused absense as long as the advisors sign off on it.

LLBUX

The school where I teach (on an 8 block schedule) allows students 3 A days and 3 B days for personal use.  Assuming the parent calls in the child's absence, he/she is excused.
FFA trips, sickness, sports injury, and death in the family are not counted against the 3 days.  4-H would be in the personal use area.

Kids take off for hunting, preparing for prom, college days, vacation on their personal leave days.

Works for us, attendance is very high.

Lucky for my family, most of our 4-H events are in the summer although we may start showing at some national events in a couple of years.  That will require my son to miss some school.  I may have a go-round at that time as he attends a different school.

Good luck to you!

maine_man

From the national 4-H website:

youth engaged with 4-H are:

Nearly two times more likely to get better grades in school;
    Nearly two times more likely to plan to go to college;
    41 percent less likely to engage in risky behaviors; and
    25 percent more likely to positively contribute to their families and communities.

http://www.4-h.org/about/youth-development-organization/

Maybe your 4-H club could do a community service project to improve the school grounds, like pick up trash, paint buildings, rake leaves, etc... This would show the school principal that 4-H events are not just an excuse to get out of school but you actually do something to improve the community and your personal character.

KSUwildcat2009

Make sure you put a positive spin on your essay.  Tell your teacher about all the great things 4-H does to develop youth.  Try to stay away from attacking the school administrators and this rule.  If it was me, I would ask your teacher to help you perfect your essay after the assignment has been graded and see if you can present it to the school board.  I was very fortunate to come from a school district that was supportive of my agricultural background and allowed me to miss school for things like cattle shows and to check cows over lunch, even though we didn't have open campus lunch.  Write from personal experience about how 4-H has helped shaped you to become the person you are now and give examples of learning experiences you've been a part of from both sides!  How has someone taught you through 4-H?  How have YOU taught someone else through 4-H?  And I would definitely include the facts that maine_man presented!