Experience with Bushy Park Farms.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

harleyhog

We were wondering what experiences people have had with BPF?  We have never bought from them, but are considering going to look at their calves...We are just wanting to know what to expect.  Thanks in advance...

wscc

We started buying calves from BPF in 2006. This was the first year BPF had took over the herd from Fred and Joan DeRouchey. Fred is the main reason I started at BPF!!!! I am not sure I have ever meet such an honorable man as Fred!!!! I would do anything for him now!!! The reason I have stayed is Cory. Cory Thomsen is in charge up there, and he sure knows good cattle. He may seem hard to get to know, but he is a great guy that truly hopes for the best for all of his clients. Cattle are very competitive and will range from 1,800 and up!!! We have bought high dollar and cheap calves from them and had great success with both!!!! I feel the trip to Mitchell will be very worth your time. Steve Robinson, the owner is a very fair and honest man as well. I really enjoy my time visiting with him. Riley is in charge of the barn, and you can always count on him!!! Can not say enough good about this group of guys!!! They are a big reason
My kids have had some success!! I owe them a lot, and I feel they treat everyone the same. Good luck and make that trip to Mitchell
Eric Walker

boss cow

I agree 110% with Eric. Fred DeRouchey put us in contact with Cory Thomsen in the spring of 2010. We made the drive to Mitchell from south Texas. We have never looked back. Cory, Riley and Steve have provided us with better advice and service than we ever expected. We've purchased a pretty wide range of cattle from them at the farm and at a couple of sales. My boys have spent a lot of time with Cory and Riley and have learned a tremendous amount in a short time. We sure wouldn't have had the success we've had in 3 years of showing if Bushy Park hadn't been part of the equation.
Lacey Vargo

showsteerdlux

I purchased a calf over the phone sight unseen in the sale last year and couldn't be happier. I cannot agree more on what the others have posted. We are planning on getting another one this year.

harleyhog

Awesome.  I just told my husband I think we will make the trip.  We raise Maine's so I am looking for a good heifer for my daughter to show.  Thanks again....

mainecattlemother

Harleyhog, we have talked about going out to Bushy Park for a long time as my daughter just got into raising Maines just have not ventured as far as Mitchell, but actually called Riley this morning as we have a young Monopoly x Cowboy Cut Mainetainer heifer and we cant seem to get her bred but caught her in good heat this morning.  My hubby was having some issue breeding to a Maine bull and called Riley for suggestions.  He was very patient with me on the phone and suggested I-80 which we did have in our tank.  I grew up in South Dakota so am very familiar with the name but now live in MN.  We plan on possibly making the trip this fall.  Good luck with your trip if you do so!!

harleyhog

I am glad Riley suggested I-80 as we have a bull calf out of him that my daughter show as a cow/calf pair at our local county fair.  His mother is a purebreed Maine out of Bouncer. 

The calf was a bull calf twin with another bull calf which was the only down fall as he is pretty small, but making ground quickly..He good structure, good leg and great hair.  The only thing he got from I-80 that I am disappointed in his is
disposition.  WOW, he has a temper...His mother is the best first calf heifer we could ask for.  My daughter showed her all of last year and I swore could live inside, but her calf is another story.

I wish you luck with I-80.  I chose not to breed anything to him this year..I am excited about next spring though with what I chose....