Expired CIDRs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

I was pulling out all of the AI equipment today, getting it clean and doing an inventory to see what I needed to order and noticed that my bag of CIDRs expired in September. Will they still be good? I don't want to use them and have them not work but at the same time I don't want to throw out $60 if they are still good.

Thoughts?

mccannfarms

If they are in a cool dry place in a sealed container I would feel better about it than if they were in a wal-mart sack that stays in the barn all year.
I personally wouldn't use them in setting up anything ET, or with hard to find or expensive semen.. but if they were stored well then I probably would use them for "normal" AI practices.

Just my $0.02

blackdiamond

mccannfarms said:
If they are in a cool dry place in a sealed container I would feel better about it than if they were in a wal-mart sack that stays in the barn all year.
I personally wouldn't use them in setting up anything ET, or with hard to find or expensive semen.. but if they were stored well then I probably would use them for "normal" AI practices.

Just my $0.02

Ours stay in freezer, zip-loc bag....  I use all my CIDRs twice, and keep an extra stash of ones to use 3x...  You know, on those "maybe" cows, and on that "last one" that I'd really like to do, but ran out.

I haven't seen a noticeable decline with the 3rd use.

just rinse with warm water, and a tiny touch of soap after each use.

Dozer45

They were kept sealed in their original bag in the house so the temp has been consistent. I think Ill give them a try.