expo shorthorn sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

lot 21 brought $2600. I did not get the buyer as I was talking when I should have been listening. I thought this bull was undervalued, as I thought he combined some calving ease and low BW genetics and yet still had excellent growth. I thought he was a very good bull. IMO, he offered much more than many of the smaller framed earlier maturing bulls in the sale.

stick

jit, thanks for the info, had heard he looked like he had a lot to offer  I remember that Polled Congress storm plus another one. The one you talk about we didn't even make the sale, heard the weather and barely made it back home to be snowed in 3 days. Another year we saw the sale, and started home. Got as far as the Sapp Bros. truck stop in Council Bluffs and had enough. Got the last room at the Super 8 and spent the next day watching people get stuck in the parking lot trying to get a room. Whenthe sun came out the hardest part in getting home was the las t2 1/2 miles on gravel.

justintime

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
SS Augusta Pride.....pretty stout prefix and name if you ask me.

My guess is that most people would rather spend their money on an animal they can actually own and enjoy on a daily basis. In this case, they were selling a complete 1/2 interest but no possession. The buyer was to receive 1/2 the proceeds of any natural calves and 1/2 the embryos produced, but also 1/2 the costs associated along the way. This might have been a great deal, but it is hard to sell an " unknown quantity". The only exception I can think of , is when this is offered on a well known or legendary female. Some people are willing to take the gamble in  those deals. When partnerships are formed, the people involved are as important as the animal involved. I have been in several partnerships, and there are some people that I would never partner on a cup of coffee with. I do not know the seller in this case, so that would be reason enough for me not to jump in and buy this lot... but this is just me. Before I get hammered by saying this, I am in no way saying anything derogatory about the sellers of this lot. I am just saying that I do not know them.

In this case, this female was really unproven despite her intriguing pedigree. I may  be wrong, but this is my guess as to why this lot did not sell for more.

mark tenenbaum

yuppiecowboy said:
Longs bought 1/3 of the plus heifers. Anything under 800 I believe John bought. I didnt realize being elected state president meant you were stuck flooring the royal sale.Those were potentially very good cattle for that kind of money-and hes got one of the better breeding bulls there is-DRM Micky has produced some super good females on Longs bottom feeder cattle-more power to him. O0

The 77 flush didnt get a bid.

evermoor

I believe john had a couple people lookin for a heifer, the rest will get bred and be in their fall sale , he also got a nice one in MN sale.

PLKR

JIT--I'm sure you are on the right track concerning the Augusta Pride heifer. I did not remember that they were only selling an embryo interest; I had only briefly looked at the catalog online.....

justintime

I didn't get all of them as I was called out of the sale near the end of it. Lot 59 sold for $1900 to Justamere Farm. Lot 1 sold for $5500 to Workman, in Ohio. Lot 10 sold for $1700 to Bryant, Nebraska.

OH Breeder

I thought one of the more interesting pictured females was lot 30. From the picture she looked like she had alot to offer.