Whose calves are Meaner???

• EXT

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Cowboy Cut

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cattledog

I've only had experience with EXT.  Those cattle scared the hell out of me!  My mom used to tell me that I was too confident around cattle and showed no fear.  That changed when we kept 7 heifers out of EXT about 10 years ago.  I started breaking calves like I always did and then I saw the eyes glaze over and one heifer stomped my guts into the ground!  That was one of the worst years of my life!

I will say this about EXT's, you find out real fast what they are gonna be like.  They are either evil, man-hating demonically possessed cattle or they aren't bad.  No middle ground!

What breed is Cowboy Cut?

cattleman8807

cowboy cut is a 3/4 maine

i got an ext and she tries to kill me every year but on the other hand this cowboy cut cow i have was a show heifer well was suppose to be but could never get her broke after three weeks i kicked her out and when we brought her up to ai this year she mule kick me my head was in the middle then she turned around and ran me over

CAB

Have both and it's not even a contest. The Ext's would eat the CC's up and spit'em out then stomp'em into ground. I have never had a mean CC. Only cow that has ever gotten me down was a 15 year old Ext. I have had more than one mean Ext. I do love how Ext fixes udders. Those cows will last until they have no teeth left in their mouth.

GoWyo

EXT cows are great momma cows on range conditions.  We calve on pasture and try to tag within a day of hitting the ground -- usually rope them and pull the calf into the back of the pickup to work on them.  Had one old cow several years ago that jumped in the back of the pickup with me before I could get the tailgate up.  She kept her back wheels on the ground but still bent the tail gate.  In the years after that episode, I had someone drive around in circles while I tagged and banded in the back on that cow and a couple of others that were just as mean.  They usually settled down a lot after the calf was a few days old.

Cattledog

CAB said:
Have both and it's not even a contest. The Ext's would eat the CC's up and spit'em out then stomp'em into ground. I have never had a mean CC. Only cow that has ever gotten me down was a 15 year old Ext. I have had more than one mean Ext. I do love how Ext fixes udders. Those cows will last until they have no teeth left in their mouth.

You don't have to worry about the calf too much when you have an ext as a momma.  In fact, you don't have to worry about any calves as long as you have an EXT cow running around.  We had one EXT cow that would try to eat you up if any cow had a calf and she thought you got too close.  We've still got three of those EXT's from when I was a kid(sold the others as heifers) and you're right.....they last forever!  It sure will be alot easier when they are gone though!

I have seen alot of people breeding to EXT now since downfall of the carcass and $B greats.  I saw a July of this year heifer that will compete with anything and I considered buying her.  The only problem was I couldn't get within 75ft.. That was before she managed to wiggle through and electrified 5 strand high tensil fence to get away from us.

SWMO

No experience with EXT however, the few Cowboy Cuts that we had were the worst things I ever tried to put a halter on.  They were TOTALLY NUTS!!!!!

CAB

We only had 3 of the CC heifers, We bought semen B4 his PHA status came out. We never broke any of the 3, but I can walk out in the pasture and get my hands on all 3 of them. We spend way too much time out in the lots and pastures. My only complaint about the CC's was that the structure was suspect on the front ends and they didn't seem to milk the best as 1st calf heifers. I know that Red had some of the same issues with structure. She used him the same year that I did and posted up a pic of one of hers.

beefy08

My grandpa bought a few black steers to feed out and one of them is an EXT. He use to be kind of wary of me, but now he is as friendly as the holsteins we bottle fed. Kinda hard to dump the grain with him just standing in my way. They were hoping for a heifer but got a bull so they steered him.

Cattledog

beefy08 said:
My grandpa bought a few black steers to feed out and one of them is an EXT. He use to be kind of wary of me, but now he is as friendly as the holsteins we bottle fed. Kinda hard to dump the grain with him just standing in my way. They were hoping for a heifer but got a bull so they steered him.

Looks like you won the coin toss!  They aren't all crazy, but when someone says EXT I can't help but think of the bad ones!

McCauleyCattle

Some of them you break and some you don't .... One of my daughter's favorite's is an EXT!  She is a great show heifer! You just have to work with them... we have nicknamed her Princess because she acts like a queen ... she loves to be petted over...  When she was calf ... she was a challenge but well worth it.

My wife who only feeds them when we are out of town likes her too...  Again we think she is a great showmanship animal. 

Sometimes you get out what you put in....

Now we have a Networth Heifer that has kicked 11 my daughter times so far.... now there is a challenge.. but she was great in the ring in her first show... North American...  It took us 6 months to break her... Some people think the Networth are crazy...

What is the other part of Cowboy Cut???? I don't know anything about that one....

McCauleyCattle

Now the momma cow of our EXT is very sweet... so maybe if you have a mean momma and a mean daddy...

We have a month old that my daughter is going to show with that EXT I was talking about... she already has a halter on the baby and is going to show her this weekend with her momma...

But her momma is a very sweet ... and she was a 208.... bred to an EXT...  We will keep both of them till they die because of them temperament. 

midway6376

Now we have a Networth Heifer that has kicked 11 my daughter times so far.... now there is a challenge.. but she was great in the ring in her first show... North American...  It took us 6 months to break her... Some people think the Networth are crazy...
[/quote]

I must have gotten lucky with my Networth then because I have a Networth and she is the biggest puppy dog. But I have a 004 and she is a little crazy.

Cattledog

midway6376 said:

I must have gotten lucky with my Networth then because I have a Networth and she is the biggest puppy dog. But I have a 004 and she is a little crazy.
[/quote]

I recently worked a sale and to my surprise the Net worths were very quiet and well behaved.  I talked to the manager of the farm about them and he said that for the most part they aren't a problem.  He then told me that there was one that he pulled from the sale because he was afraid that a young junior would buy her.  He said when they're bad....they're bad!

McCauleyCattle

Our 004 is a real talker... She is the first to say hello in the morning...and a great Momma... she will chase my daughter for a lemon... now how funny is that.

She was tough to break... but a winning show cow.  We have our fingers crossed that she will have a heifer this time

midway6376

McCauleyCattle said:
Our 004 is a real talker... She is the first to say hello in the morning...and a great Momma... she will chase my daughter for a lemon... now how funny is that.

That how my Networth is. She will follow me out of the pasture and stand at the gate for a long it. I was actually picking cockel burs of her tonight.

Dero

When I use to shear a lot of sale cattle I could always pick out the EXT's and Exacto's out from the crowd.  The only cows that I have ever had to double back to the chute were EXT's, and they always meant business.