Fan Questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

Just wondering if you guys knew the amperage requirements to run 2 fans. Also, I have some cheaper used fans that I bought. I was wondering when the motors and blades eventually give out, if they can be replaced with Sullivans or Blue Ribbon Supply parts, or do I just throw them in the junk pile, and replace the whole thing?

Thanks

chambero

I may be off base here, but a bigger question on barn fans is energy usage.  I currently have a 8 Sullivan's Turbo fans going in my barn and my electric bill is eating me alive (way more than my house).

I haven't done anything yet, but I'm looking into alternatives for more energy efficient equipment including the 36-inch Schaffer fans and some made by a company called "Big Ass Fans". 

When motors go out, I'd replace the whole thing.  Blades are no big deal to get replaced.

For amperage requirements, manufacturer websites usually list them (everyone but Sullivans since they really aren't making them).

jakec53

I checked and sullivan turbo pulls 4 amps, the same as a Schaeffer and is a heck of a lot more durable.  The cage on the turbo is really strong unlike the Schaeffer which I can bend myself.

dcbehle

Like Jake posted, Sullivan's Turbo Fan is advertised at 4 amps, so you could assume if you had two fans that are of similar horse power you would be around 8 amps for two fans. Keep in mind that the in-rush current of a motor starting will be higher. If blowing breakers/fuses is a problem, start only one at a time. Also keep in mind what other loads may be on the same circuit.

As far as energy use and what it does to your utility bill, the more fans you use for more hours each day will add up on your utility bill. A simple way to estimate the cost involves the following:

Volts x Amps = Watts
120 volts x 4 amps = 480 watts

If you run a fan 12 hours a day, that is  5,760 watt/hours or 5.76 kWhs.
Average utility rates in the midwest are around 9 cents per kWh.
So each fan running 12 hours per day is adding about $15.55 per month on your utility bill.

Jake's 8 fans is adding about $124 to his bill per month. If you are looking at switching to something else, make sure you evaluate the volumn of air you are moving and the total energy use they will be adding.

chiangus

Wow that does add up quite a bit.  I wonder what the cost of a cooler room is?

dcbehle said:
Like Jake posted, Sullivan's Turbo Fan is advertised at 4 amps, so you could assume if you had two fans that are of similar horse power you would be around 8 amps for two fans. Keep in mind that the in-rush current of a motor starting will be higher. If blowing breakers/fuses is a problem, start only one at a time. Also keep in mind what other loads may be on the same circuit.

As far as energy use and what it does to your utility bill, the more fans you use for more hours each day will add up on your utility bill. A simple way to estimate the cost involves the following:

Volts x Amps = Watts
120 volts x 4 amps = 480 watts

If you run a fan 12 hours a day, that is  5,760 watt/hours or 5.76 kWhs.
Average utility rates in the midwest are around 9 cents per kWh.
So each fan running 12 hours per day is adding about $15.55 per month on your utility bill.

Jake's 8 fans is adding about $124 to his bill per month. If you are looking at switching to something else, make sure you evaluate the volumn of air you are moving and the total energy use they will be adding.

chambero

I've got something wrong because my barn is running me $400 a month and nothing else is running very often.

twistedhshowstock

It can add up very quickly...I have a family I am helping that is running some fans they bought from Home Depot...they dont move quiet as much air as the Turbo's but they arent that far behind.  I would like them to move more air but with a budget crunch you gotta do the best you can and be happy with it.  They added some Artic Circle misters on the fans and some mister lines in the top of the barn...actually made a tremendous difference in barn temp.  They are running about 2 of the fans per calf and its doing an ok job and not costing them an arm and a leg.

dcbehle

chambero said:
I've got something wrong because my barn is running me $400 a month and nothing else is running very often.

If you have concerns about your bill being too high and the possibility of something using excess energy, the best place to start is at the main electrical panel that is fed from the meter. Try the following when you have a few minutes to spare and you have a typical energy use day.

*** Prior to starting this test, turn off all critical/valuable electronic equipment like computers and flat screen TVs. No need to cause damage to this equipment.

Start at the meter and look at how fast the meter is spinning. If there are two people involved, have one person at the meter and another at the electrical panel. Have the person at the panel turn off a breaker while the other watches the meter spin. (Highly scientific!) Start with the double pole breakers. They are generally used for appliances like electric range, water heater, and air conditioner. Keep turning additional breakers off one at a time while communicating with the person at the meter. You will notice the meter gradually start to slow down as loads are dropped at the panel. Whenever you see a significant decrease with the speed of the meter spinning, you've identified a significant energy user at that point in time. By the time you have turned off the last breaker, the meter should have stopped spinning. If it hasn't, you have one of two things happening. Either another electrical panel is served from that meter (i.e. a barn electrical panel), or you may have a bad underground wire located between your meter and the electrical panel(s).

At my home, I have found two spots between my house and my barn where the wire has been nicked or failed. I first found it when I had troubles with my sub panel in the barn. I could not operate a saw and found out that I had low voltage on one of the legs of the electric panel. Another high use item that I found was a well pump that was starting to go bad. It was pumping nearly all of the time trying to keep the water pressure up. After it was replaced, I dropped my energy use by nearly 15%. There are no magic bullets for sound energy use, just a comprehensive/efficient approach. Contact your local electric utility if you have further questions.