Fat cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Judge

I was recently at a show and a gu I knew bought a decent heifer, which he had called and bought a dose of semen from me for her and was to be calving in jan, when I asked him he said she carried fir 3 months than all of a sudden came back into heat after sticking for 3 months. I had seen the heifer a while back and told him not to get her to much fatter as she already was heavy in the brisket, well he didn't take my advice and had her loadedright up. When I asked what he feeds her she gets a ration corn barley oats with corn oil. How far are people willing to go to win a red ribbon and ruin an animal to the point where the wont milk when they calve

Mill Iron A

They do, if you haven't had a judge that has faulted them for being to fat then you need to find better judges.

BTDT

Fat does indeed create reproductive problems. 
Judge, many people will ruin a good animal by making it too fat because they have no intentions of keeping the animal and making a long term breeding animal. They are in it for the ribbon and not to create a breeding program.  In my area, there are several people who rent their trucks. I do not know the details of their agreement, but they literally TRASH the truck because they know in 2 years they will no longer have it. Same with a heifer.

Judges are no different than bull buyers, heifer buyers, or calf buyers. They will tell you they don't want a fat animal. They will bad mouth ABC farms for having their animals too fat, then they will stand in the lot and pick out the fattest animal and say "boy, it sure is thick."  Same with hair. 
On the flip side, I have heard the bystanders bad mouth a judge because they selected an animal that was NOT fat, but was thick because they judge didn't pick the "thickest" (fattest) animal. 

In my opinion (which is worth what you pay for it), 99% of the show heifers are too fat. The other 1% are being bad mouthed because they won and are not "thick".