Fat Ration

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

If they have the genetics, and you aren't lazy with a brush, you will see good result at 30 days and GREAT results at 60. IDK how many times I have posted this but here it goes again. Have shown 2 sets of twins two seperate years, both same treatment, one epic, one shag. Epic always had faster results, and better results. Typically if they have the genetics for hair(mine were either Whiskeys, Paddys, Who, or Northern Improvements) They all started the same, I let them slick out naturally, then get them in and under a fan, rinse 1-2 times a day and within 15 days their was hair that I could actually brush in the right direction, 30 days there was something I could comb(and have an occasional how cold you keep the cooler) and by 45 me one very surprised hair whore lol. But it never stopped there by 60 days (the longest I have ever fed it, Out by state fair time) I was amazed at needing a skip tooth comb for the hair.

Shag on the other hang would take 45 days for something to comb, and 60 days for a decent coat of hair but still not anywhere close to the epic.

horseshoe b

Glenstory said:
TMJ posted this earlier this year.  I agree.

Feed your steam flaked corn and cook some barley instead. Believe it or not if your calf is having trouble finishing like you want,say 30-45 days out,add about 2lbs. of mashed up raw potatoes to the diet. Oldtime remedy that WORKS.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=11140.0
    someone please tell me more about this potato thing, is it hard to get them to eat it? what is the theory behind it ?

Nasc

horseshoe b said:
Glenstory said:
TMJ posted this earlier this year.  I agree.

Feed your steam flaked corn and cook some barley instead. Believe it or not if your calf is having trouble finishing like you want,say 30-45 days out,add about 2lbs. of mashed up raw potatoes to the diet. Oldtime remedy that WORKS.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=11140.0
    someone please tell me more about this potato thing, is it hard to get them to eat it? what is the theory behind it ?

It’s a starch thing.
It will work if you can get the calves to eat it.

DLD

The potatos work.  Never had a problem getting one to eat them.  Best thing we've found is to shred 'em with a cheese grater.

LostFarmer

When I was a kid we quit raising potatoes commercially.  The price had tanked and grandpa had several thousand hundred weight that needed to be dealt with.  We were milking cows at the time and using a front end loader put out the taters then rolled them with a packer to break them up.  The cows liked them and milked like you could not believe.  We have one kid in the 4-H program that has a supply of dried potatoes.  His steer has been getting the dried potatoes since weaning and looks good.  I think he has to tweak the vit/min pack when he gets feeding mostly potatoes as his starch.  Pretty common in these parts to feed out cattle on potatoes.  Doubt it would work in other areas on a mass scale but here it works well and can be economical. 

One word of caution.  Slightly frozen potatoes and alfalfa make for one wreck of a bloat.  Had 10 + one time trying out as cattle blimps.  We ran them in and had some capsules that we filled with bloat guard powder.  four to five to the cow and they started belching it up.  Daughter was with me and asked if I wanted a match and we would have BBQ on the hoof.  Didn't lose any but that was as bloated as I have ever seen them saved.  A couple actually went down and had to be stuck but managed to recover. 

LF

farmboy

well, bad news. he won't eat this feed. switching him back over to the old stuff tomorrow. I'll add the potatoes too.

Burnetaggie99

We feed Lyssy & Eckel #150 Show feed but we add in SunGlo Epic, SunGlo Show Cattle Power Up, and SunGlo Fresh Energy. SunGlo has a new product to keep steers eating and my brother is using it on a Maine steer that would not eat and he has good luck on it. It's called SunGlo Inhale. SunGlo also has another fat product called Sumo but I have never tried it.

beef101

about the shaq we used it on one of are calves this year and it didnt work and on another steer we used grow n shine and he has 3 inches of hair and all we use is fans and rinsing 2x a day