Favorite Clippers for Shaving

Help Support Steer Planet:

simba

Just wondering what everyone's favorite clippers for shaving faces, briskets, necks etc are. I have an old pair of Sunbeams and a set of Sheermasters and I hate both of them (too big, heavy, loud and hot!) so I'm looking to get something else. Preferably something as light and quiet as possible. Any suggestions are welcome!

flacowman

I love my Andis Lightspeeds for everything from shaving to show day leg work.  THe T blade makes short work of heads and necks, even a body clip job doesn't take long with it.  They're fast, quiet, and cool, and the light is handy in a dim barn

simba

flacowman said:
I love my Andis Lightspeeds for everything from shaving to show day leg work.  THe T blade makes short work of heads and necks, even a body clip job doesn't take long with it.  They're fast, quiet, and cool, and the light is handy in a dim barn

I actually have a pair of those too, I was just worried I'd burn the motor shaving with them. I've been using the #10 blades to shave, but I find that they cut too close (my white Hereford heads look pink!). Do you use the T-84 or T-10 blades? I would be really happy not to have to buy another pair of clippers!

flacowman

I've always used the T-84 because mine is from before I found that they offered T-10, and I've body clipped several calves with them and done more heads/necks/briskets than I can count to with them

simba

flacowman said:
I've always used the T-84 because mine is from before I found that they offered T-10, and I've body clipped several calves with them and done more heads/necks/briskets than I can count to with them

That's really good to know, you might have just saved me $300, I just gotta get some different blades. Thanks for the info!

flacowman

You're very welcome.  As long as you keep the blades lubes you shouldn't have any troubles.  And make sure the cattle you clip are clean and you can clip a lot of cattle before you need to send them for sharpening

smo

I will add that the t84 take it pretty short I've never done a calf with white face with them bit they might go pink

flacowman

Clipping charolais cattle they do get a little pink but we always clip a week before the show anyways to soften up and clipper tracks and they just look a little nicer with that touch of natural growth.  You can always cover the eyes and use a little white touch up, done that too.  Hold it about 12 inches away and it will kind of fog out and not be so thick and will cover any pink

mick rems

i got andis 2 speeds. but anything with the quick attach type blades would work, and ive always used the ten blades. or t84's on heads. we got a different blade we do steer necks with and my white heifers neck with. and your motor should be fine as long as you OIL your blades ANY time you kool lube them. i was talking to a guy that sharpens blades and he said to make sure you oil blades everytime you kool lube them, which is everytime your blades start to get hot. it helps. the oil in the kool lube isn't enough to lubricate the blades, it also is chemically attached to the kool lube so it evaporates off with the kool lube. and if your blades are hot the heat can transfer to the internal of your clippers and that will ruin some part of your clippers which is hard and fairly pricey to fix.

mick rems

i meant kool lube in a general term as in the spray you use for cooling your blades. sorry for any misconceptions. the sharpener also said to use ANDIS OIL not any of the other ones, he also has his own that he's devoloped that he likes and i really wish he sold it cus i would have bought some of it. yes romax we use andis. oster does not exist in my clipper case or tack box.

CANsteer

i use a medium blending blade and the T-84. start by shaving the areas with a medium blending blade, the go over the places again with the T-84 blade to smooth out the lines.