Favorite Hereford Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

HerefordGuy

LilJoe1991 said:
SLDK Vendetta V-9 is the best herford bull out there. His calves are small and look st ought and great.
LilJoe-  You seem to know the Vendetta bull.  Why was the first thing I ever heard of him was this past Hereford World?  Has he been shown?  I also saw his video on YouTube today.

CMAHerefords

Does anybody know anything about the new bull Genex is carrying. Worldwide or something like that?

I was talking to my technician yesterday and he said that bull was just as popular this spring as About Time. I normally use bulls I have bought the semen on but I was just wondering what people knew about him and what people thought about him.

Dozer45

I was looking at him but this is his first season so there are no calves to look at. I really like Revolution he is a close relitive and IMO put together a little better... could be just because he is fully grown. He also seems to throw pretty decent calves with small BW

CMAHerefords

Has anybody seen any John Wayne, Back-n-time or shadow calves?

Heard John Wayne calves come between 82-90# but come really easy.

HerefordGuy

CMAHerefords said:
Has anybody seen any John Wayne, Back-n-time or shadow calves?

Heard John Wayne calves come between 82-90# but come really easy.
If you are talking about Adams Shadow, I like the look of his calves.  I think they showed and sold well this past year.

Back-n-time looked really good when he was exhibited as a calf, don't know anything about calves. 

Personally, I really dislike KT John Wayne 7167.  To me, he appears light muscled in his mature picture on page 52 of the Hereford AI book. 

HerefordGuy

To answer the original question, my favorite Hereford bulls are:
1. Remitall Online
2. Pure Gold
The rest in no particular order:
LaGrand Reload 80P,  UPS Nitro, THM Durango (love his mature pic, plus he's the sire of the buzz bull, About Time), Remitall Keynote, Moler, Enuff Prophet, and DM BR Imax  ;D

When I was a kid I thought WNH CHR MCA Decathlete was the bomb  :)

CMAHerefords

Nitro could be one of the upcoming breed greats. He has been used a lot in the past two years. And sired a lot of class winners and sale toppers last year.

I heard in Denver he looked awful tho and they wouldve sold a lot more semen if they would've left him home. It will just be curious to see if his daughters have longevity or not.

cebwtx

BR DM  l1 Domino 146 is a bull that has been around awhile with some success. He has sired numerous winners both heifer and bulls. He seems to be a lot stronger producer of heifers however. Of course I bred one of my registered Hereford cows to him hoping for a nice replacement heifer and wound up with a bull instead. Don't get me wrong he looks like he is going to be nice but not a heifer. I would say he is likely on the end of his producing winners but he is proven. I would not use him on heifers personally however.

dj

Online and Channing...I have had steers out of both of these guys that my kids have placed at the majors. The Online was branded as a Horn Hereford in Ft. Worth '07 in 10Th. His attitude was puppy dog gentle. My daughter won the Jr. Showmanship at the Belt Buckle Bonanza with this guy. The Channing steers were flush mates. One was horned and one polled. We placed the polled 2ND place in the heavy weights at San Antonio '09 (horn & polled show together). He was the only polled in the Championship drive. His attitude was real good too. We won the HW Horn Herefords in Houston '09. He was a hard head from the start, but broke nicely with consistency. The Online steer got better everday we had him on feed. Structure was his issue. He had a back foot that had a an outside hoof that was hollow underneath and he rolled a little on it. Other than that, I would like to feed him again, knowing what I know now. The Channings, I never liked them until they were finished. The polled was a perfect profiling steer; looked more like a heifer. The horn steer was a meat wagon that finished out nicely.  Wish the breeder would use Online again, but he says semen is too expensive. I think a flush could make that semen more affordable considering the quality and quantity that he would get. But I would feed any of them again. ;D

CMAHerefords

I really like the Channing (or any online bloodline) daughters. I think they are really good maternally. All of ours are all moderately framed and milk really well. Just like to maybe add a little more power behind them. With Channing and Moler both being dead, I see that semen prices and the demand for their daughters to rise significantly in the next couple years. The only maternal genetics I might like better are the 29F daughters.

I really liked the Wallace calves I saw last fall. The ones I saw were real wide topped, stout and still moderately framed. Just wish the price would come down a little bit more and I would use him. It will be interesting to see his daughters in production.

DiamondS

CMAHerefords said:
I really like the Channing (or any online bloodline) daughters. I think they are really good maternally. All of ours are all moderately framed and milk really well. Just like to maybe add a little more power behind them. With Channing and Moler both being dead, I see that semen prices and the demand for their daughters to rise significantly in the next couple years. The only maternal genetics I might like better are the 29F daughters.

I really liked the Wallace calves I saw last fall. The ones I saw were real wide topped, stout and still moderately framed. Just wish the price would come down a little bit more and I would use him. It will be interesting to see his daughters in production.

(clapping)  We think a lot alike!

CMAHerefords

What are people's opinions on the DelHawk Capitol calves?

We have one heifer calf and she looks promising. Shes super dark and showy.

CMAHerefords

Does anybody have any experience with Nitro calves?

I was talking to a breeder in Illinois the other day that does a lot of ET work with him. He mentioned he was having trouple with calving ease using him. He had to pull like 75% of the calves. Just was wondering if anybody else is having this trouble as well or not.