Favorite Maine Anjou Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

I have a cow that is 43.75% Maine, so I would not mind breeder her to a PB or high % Maine Anjou bull. She is out of BK Power Plus so he is not an option, also there is a chance she is a PHA carrier, so it would need to be a PHAF bull. Lets hear your favorites!

ROMAX

All my Power Plus calves have been small framed so i would breed her a to little bigger framed bull,and definately not a carrier,Tyson might work or his sire Ali.

Warrior10

Tyson is one I have looked at a couple times...maybe I should give more info on the cow....she is massive boned, moderate framed and not the deepest cow. I am looking for a calf I could register maine so I am not sure a 1/2 bull would work would it?

bryan6807

agreed, anything with the GVC pre fix will work, they are good cattle. also tlm bouncer might work

bryan6807

I have had very good luck with cigar, I have also had awesome luck with NFL but i know he is a carrier. I have a GVC Maverick heifer and i will be using more from the GVC program. It all depends on if you are breeding maternally or if you want club calves. Maverick in my opinion is more maternal, where as Cigar can be used both ways. just my opinion.

Freerider

I would recommend something that isn't too 'old school' , the newer generation Maines have more rib, and more show ring appeal imo.

GVC Special Delivery - Huge fan
Ali- Why not
Serious Business - The real deal
Predator 3/4 - Have seen a few calves and they look great
OHL Scoreboard - Haven't seen any offspring yet, but I hear great things about the bull. We'll have calves soon.

J

JTM

K&A Nautica or about any of their bulls. I like the Kasanova bull with Cunia pretty close, he looks larger framed. Seen a lot of Nautica calves and they are nice.

johnmetzger

I used Maverick on some common cows last summer and am realy impressed with the heifer calves we had with him. All were light birth weight with no help.

maine_man

I haven't seen many Open Bar calves but from what I can see he needs to be used on a cow with good rib shape. In my opinion the Maverick calves are inconsistent. The good ones are good, but there are 2 below average calves for every good one. He seems to work best on cows that have plenty of power and performance.

Tyson, K&A Nautica, and TLM Bouncer are all great recommendations. Bouncer is very easy calving so use him if that is a concern. Be sure to look into Tyson sons too, there are starting to be a few of them around.

Also, I would look at Rowe Gold Club. He is a PHA carrier but it might be worth it to get the cow tested and if she is free use him.

Warrior10

Would a calf that is out of a cow that is only 43.75% bred to Mercedez Benz would is 3/4 be able to be registered maine?

Cow Chaser

You are going to need to breed to a Pure Bred Bull to get Maine papers on your calf, even though your cow is 43.75% she is still considered a 3/8 Maintainer.  I would look at Tyson or Gucci, Predator is throwing really good calves but he is a 3/4, so if you like his blood line use Gucci who is also out of Lamborgini but crossed to a Habanero cow which she give you good maternal traits.