feed additives

Help Support Steer Planet:

flatwoodscattle

I am mixing my own feed and also adding mineral and wheat germ oil for fat to it for a Maine x heifer. Should I add a feed additive like power fuel (from Purina) or show bloom or are these products really over rated?

Attachments

• 104_0261.JPG
    104_0261.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 539
  • Horse.JPG
    Horse.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 552

stangs13

Power fuel will do you lots of good on that girl. It will give her mass if she needs it, and it really helps get the hair going, its going to aid in  giving her cover, and filling in back by her udder. As far as a product like show bloom, go with HSC Champions drive...we feed both of these products to our heifers and we LOVE them.  The champions drive will put a top in her like no other supplement will, it is said to be better than show bloom...and I would have to agree.

The Show

Full Tank also works really good on show day. A lot of calves that won't eat on show morning will eat FT like candy. They'll have the runs and probably won't eat the next day, but they'll look good.

stangs13

The Show said:
Full Tank also works really good on show day. A lot of calves that won't eat on show morning will eat FT like candy. They'll have the runs and probably won't eat the next day, but they'll look good.

Yeah it is a great show day feed additive, esp. if you can get them to drink lots of water after eating the FT...really bloats them up.

Jacob B

OK.  I love it when people talk about the next great feed "additive" that will propell them the next level.  All you need is a well balanced ration of feed to start with.  The best people in the world to sell feed to are those crazy horse people that think they all need the next great feed additive.  I remember times when you had to come up with somthing new every once in a while just because they wanted to waist there money so badly.  My advice is to simply feed a complete feed, no additive of any kind needed.

shortyjock89

Jacob B said:
OK.  I love it when people talk about the next great feed "additive" that will propell them the next level.  All you need is a well balanced ration of feed to start with.  The best people in the world to sell feed to are those crazy horse people that think they all need the next great feed additive.  I remember times when you had to come up with somthing new every once in a while just because they wanted to waist there money so badly.  My advice is to simply feed a complete feed, no additive of any kind needed.

Agreed. The closest thing to an additive we feed is Full Tank.