Feed Conversion

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bjk cattle

I'm feeding a Maine and Shorthorn heifer for spring shows. They are around 850 right now. I can't seem to keep them fat. I use Moorman's Showtec finisher along with the #1 mineral as a top dress. They get 20 LBS each everyday along with all the Bermuda hay they want. They were fat all summer but now seem to be losing the fat. I don't know if they are just going through a growing phase, or just not converting their feed. I don't see any change in their manure so I don't think it's feed conversion but I really don't know.  Any help would certainly be appreciated.

TottenClubCalves

for 850 pounds i would probably have them around 25-28 pounds a day. Are you feeding them once or twice a day? You may want to add a little corn to there diet as well maybe a half a scoop each feeding top dress as well that never hurts

TottenClubCalves

I just did a little math for feed intake to maintain weight on a show heifer I like to feed them around 2.5% of there body weight, well to gain weight i like to feed 3-3.5% depending on how fat im trying to get them and how fast.

At 850 pounds 2.5% is 21.25 pounds
                        3.0% is 25.5 pounds
                        3.5% 29.75 pounds

Bjk cattle

Thanks for the input. I am currently feeding them once a day.  I know I should be feeding twice a day, but I have a terrible time getting the mattress off my back in the morning before going to work.  I will switch to twice a day and up the amount.  I sure wish there were a cheaper ration to feed.  The sack feed is way too expensive.  Thanks for the input.

AAOK

Through the wonder of Copy & Paste, here is way more than you asked for, but hopefully useful.  The mineral listed is now a custom mix, but still avaiable.

I have had so many requests for my Feed Program, that the ration is attached to the whole process.  We feed this ration to baby calves as early as two months, show heifers, show steers, breeding bulls, and as our winter protein supplement for the cows.  Our biggest success is being able to wean and fit show heifers for sale or show at four months of age.
Here it is:

ASKLUND ACRES program for feeding show calves.
www.clubcalves.com/asklundhome.htm

1.  Calves should be fed twice a day, the same time each day. Optimum is 6:00am & 6:00pm.

2.  Calves should be haltered and tied next to each other.... close enough to see each other eat, but far enough apart to not be able to reach one another's feed.

3.  After 15 minutes, they should be pulled from their feed, and the feed cleaned up.
(this teaches them to eat all their food quickly. Sure comes in handy at shows)

4.  Measure feed by pounds, not scoops.  They should eat 10 - 15 pounds of feed, twice daily, depending on the size of the calf.

5.  Make hay or pasture available year round.  I recommend small area containment from morning feeding to evening feeding, rinsing, brushing and showmanship work.

6.  Turn into larger area pasture with hay or grass for the night.  Make sure there is plenty of room to exercise.

Here is our ration, per ton

1200 lbs. cracked corn
400 lbs. cotton seed hulls
200 lbs. steam rolled oats
100 lbs. soy bean meal
100 lbs. molasses

I top dress each calf 1 oz. per feeding Moorman's #168AU medicated mineral.  A quality mineral is essential.  On the occasional need for a fat additive, I use Moorman's Natural Glo.  This is a 100% extruded rice bran developed for Race Horses.  1 pound per head per day.  It will increase muscle, hair & quality of hair coat.

That's our feed program. It has remained unchanged since 1996, and we have never had any breeding problems. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.
Dan Asklund
580-310-4081
Ada, OK

sue

I agree with all of the above and would like to add : clean fresh free choice water . Also we use Safeguard dewormer every 30 days for Show and sale cattle.