Feeding a bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cebwtx

I have searched and read a little on some past post but was still coming up with questions. We have a 6 month old bull that we just weaned. Currently we are feeding him developer ration and hay. We are planning on showing him a little. My question is at what age should we change from a developer to something else. Also what else should be added to supplement his growth and maturity. I posted pics of him and mom on earlier post. New to the bull thing I'm used to heifers and know it most likely takes a different program. I guess I'm just needing to knife if its common sense trial and error that works best or is there a guideline to follow.

cowboy_nyk

If your bull is only 6 months old right now, I'd keep him on the oat based developer ration for a month(ish) and self feed, high quality hay.  I like to start introducing 30-50% barley/corn at roughly 200 days of age for my show bulls.  I find any earlier you risk causing feet issues, stunting growth and burning them out too early.  If this is a breeding bull you will want to watch his condition.  You want to keep him in good shape and growing but you really don't want him to lay down much fat.  That will negatively effect him in the long run.  Anything more than 50% barley is too much.  To be honest, any bull I am not showing never sees barley.  It's hard on their guts and feet.  I'm from Canada so maybe someone can give you better advice regarding corn.  We don't use it too much up here.

cebwtx

Thanks cowboy nyk. Yes we do plan on him breeding. That's why I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can so we keep him looking as "showy" yet capable of still being a good productive bull. I've learned from other people's mistakes with getting show heifers to fat and causing problems. We keep ours moderated as to limit any breeding and milking problems. So far we've been lucky with them. I say lucky because I know I'm not that knowledgeable on all things cattle. I do try to use good old common sense and it usually keeps me out of trouble. I'm on the other end of the world from you we are in texas so any other suggestion on feed that would pertain to my region would be appreciated.