Feeding A Fat Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

WIshowgirl

I have a chi-angus steer that weighs 1220 and our show is in July (the 7th is weigh-in). We figure he needs to weigh about 1350-1370 to be finished. The problem is right now he is gaining about 3 pounds a day. We feed a mixture of 70% corn, 20% oats and about 10% cotton seed pellets with some protein. I was feeding him about 18 pounds a day of this mix. I backed him down to 12 pounds a day.
Should I back him down more or change his diet?  He needs more muscle, so I will be adding Rice Bran to his diet. Anyone know how much Rice Bran to feed?
Thanks!!! :) :)

vc

You feed 2 pounds a day of the Stabilized Rice Bran, but it does not add muscle it adds finish. You have 88 days before your weigh in. If anything as you back off of feed add beet pulp, slow him down to about 1 pound a day for a month and a half and then bring him up to full feed for the last month at least. He may slow down on his own as he starts fatting up, or feed him the 12 pounds a day with 6 pounds of beet pulp for a week and see what his daily gain is, if he slows down to 2 pounds a day you should he fine.

WIshowgirl

Thanks, VC. I will add beet pulp and try that for a week or so and see how much he gains.
He needs more rear quarter muscle, is there any supplement that adds muscle?

vc

Jrod, I feed the pellets, I thought about the oil but stayed with the pellets.

WI, I hope you know I ment a pound a day of gain not feed.

wyatt

i would use some cotton seed and beet puld with little graine good luck!

Latest posts