Feeding bailed corn stalks

Help Support Steer Planet:

TXSimmy

As you all know down here in Texas hay is about priced like gold and today we came across bailed corn stalk 4X5 rolls. Is this ok to feed to cattle? We've never used it before but have heard of people feeding them. Does it hurt the cattle any or just give them something to chew on and fill them some? We also feed 20% cubes. Any input is appreciated.

nate53

It is about like feeding straw, basically just fiber.  We feed cornstalks to the cattle we are finishing as a source of fiber.  We have fed it to cows free choice to, but they need supplementation (some protein source) too.

TXSimmy

Thank yall for the info! do you think 20 % cubes would cut it as a good enough protein source?

johnmetzger

Back in 2008 we were short on hay due to drought and round baled corn stalks. With lick tanks full of liquid supplement which I think is $2.00 + a gal. the cows did really good over the winter in northern Ohio.

old timer

M  Rock Farm said:
As you all know down here in Texas hay is about priced like gold and today we came across bailed corn stalk 4X5 rolls. Is this ok to feed to cattle? We've never used it before but have heard of people feeding them. Does it hurt the cattle any or just give them something to chew on and fill them some? We also feed 20% cubes. Any input is appreciated.
Watch the nitrate levels!!!!  is it stalks from last year or stressed crop from this year.   Nitrate levels of 5000ppm will abort a preg cow and 10,000 ppm will kill them dead.  Dont mess with anything of 2000ppm  MAXX>

3dfarms

Interesting info old timer! I had not heard this.  I think the 20% range cubes will be a good source of protein to go along with the fiber/roughage source the baled corn stalks will provide.

You know your herd better than anyone, after feeding this ration you will see if your cattle are performing well on it or if you need to add to it, etc.

Best of luck.  We had a drought here in 2007, my first year back home from college.  I started feeding hay three weeks after I moved home from school, right at the start of summer....Praying you guys see some much needed water from the sky soon!

chambero

We just bought some from Grayson County, Tx.  The Noble Foundation tested source of ours and it was fine on nitrates and about 6% protein.  We started feeding it yesterday.

coachmac

Have heard that high nitrate levels are found in the first 10-12 inches of stalk right above the ground.  Does that sound right?

nate53

coachmac said:
Have heard that high nitrate levels are found in the first 10-12 inches of stalk right above the ground.  Does that sound right?
  Yes, the higher nitrate levels are found in the stalk in the first foot above the ground.  This is also the most undesirable part of the plant to cattle, but to be safe get the bales tested and talk to your vet about possible negative consequences.  When we cut silage we leave the bottom foot in the field, but with with the cornstalk bales this part of the stalk is unavoidable.  High nitrate feed is often mixed with lower nitrate feed so it can still be used with no consequences and in a way cornstalk bales are a mixed feed ( higher nitrate in bottom of stalk and lowernitrate in husk, cob, upper stalk). Cattle will also adapt to higher nitrate levels.  But would still be a good idea to test, especially down south right now.

aj

Watch nitrate levels. I was thinking the abortion level was more like 900 ppm. I have experimented with it a time or to. Its hard on balers and swathers for one thing. The one year I took and dumped a five gallon bucket of liquid protein(mole asses) type stuff on each round bale. The cows kinda ate out the good spots on the bales and used the rest for bedding. This was during calving so it wasn't so bad. Grinding it would be best but then you need a loader tractor and a feed wagon etc. etc.    Cornstalks is just a filler if you can get them to eat it. jmo

TXSimmy

Thanks to all of the people for the information! Sure glad i asked this on here before i just went and got it.

HAB

We have fed a lot of cornstalk bales.  We usually put a 20% tub out, and the bales are in a round bale feeder.  Our cows clean up just about everything.  These are baled after the corn has been harvested.  We use a flail shredder on the standing stalks, windrow them and bale them.

CAB

Do test for nitrate levels. If they are high, let the bales sit for a period of time and retest for nitrates. After sitting the nitrate levels will go down. Some PPL inject stock bales here up north with anhydrous,(NH3) to add to the protein levels. I don't know how efficient that is, but a little research or a couple of phone calls to an extension agent should help you find out. I feed corn stalk bales and usually have corn syrup  in a lick tank available to mix in with the stalk bales. It can work fine, but you do need some source of energy to light the stalk fire up so to speak. We normally don't have troubles with nitrate levels in the cornstalk bales that we bale up here B/C generally by the time we bale stalks up here it has been after a killing frost and the nitrates have gone back into the ground. We do have to watch nitrate levels in corn silage. It has to sit for a short period of time sometimes.

oakview

We have fed corn stalk bales to our cows for as long as I remember here in central Iowa.  If I had access to a tub grinder, I would use a mixture of hay and corn stalks, one to one.  This would reduce your protein needs, depending on your hay quality, and will reduce waste.  Dean Fieser in Kansas told me last week that he puts corn stalk bales under air tight cover and injects anhydrous.  He says the cows love it.  I'm not exactly sure how to do this, but Dean could tell you.

ALTSIMMY 79

I feed a bunch of them every year up here in Iowa to make the hay supply last longer , I think everybody up this way does from what I've seen. Never tested or heard of the neighbors testing , never had a problem of any kind ! Take the professionals advice though if you want to be safe I guess.

Shorthorns4us

I think corn stalk bales are a staple in Iowa  ;)  We feed them to stretch the hay supply out in the winter.  They are basically good filler and give the cows a "treat" when they dig through the bales and find whole ears or partial ears of corn.  We also supplement during the winter with Mix 30.  Never have had a nitrate problem with the corn stalks-- like the other Iowans-- we usually get these baled up after combining and the plant is dead. 
Mix 30 is great supplement- hay, cornstalks all last longer when the cows are on it and they always seem full.  Mix 30 is also very reasonably priced compared to some of the other tub supplements and cubes.
Emily