Feeding heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

wmwcattle

What is everyone’s opinion on feeding a finisher feed to show heifers. We have shown steers and switched to heifers, we are just trying to figure out the feeding differences. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

CPrice

Is this a market heifer, or breeding heifer? I wouldn't feed finisher to a breeding heifer. What brand of feed is in your area?

wmwcattle

Is this a market heifer, or breeding heifer? I wouldn't feed finisher to a breeding heifer. What brand of feed is in your area?
It is a breeding heifer, we will breed her in the next couple of months. We have access to Purina, sunglo, LNC feeds and I’m sure others but that’s the brands we primarily feed to steers.

CPrice

It is a breeding heifer, we will breed her in the next couple of months. We have access to Purina, sunglo, LNC feeds and I’m sure others but that’s the brands we primarily feed to steers.
I am not familiar with Sunglo, but I have fed LNC Show Grower and Purina Fitters Edge. Mostly LNC. The LNC Show Grower we have in our area is 12% protein and 4% fat. The fat content is higher than I would like for heifers, but we have made it work because it's the best bang for your buck. We use the standard sized feed store scoop that comes in 1,000 different colors lol and our heifers never get more than 2 scoops twice a day.