Feeding help

Help Support Steer Planet:

CowboyPT

Need some advice from the board please.  Have a 3/4 Simmi breeding heifer that just turned 1 year of age.  She is a Grandmaster out of a Meyer/Northern Improvement cow.  I want to maximize her ability to increase frame size as she is a little too small framed.  I know genetics will determine, but want to help as much as possible with nutrition. She has adequate cover, but is not too fat (no railhead pones or fatty brisket).  Current weight is 875 as of a few weeks ago.  Currently eats a ration that is 1/2 custom blend with whole oats, cotton seed hulls, cracked corn, canola, molasses (12.5 protein) and the other 1/2 Purena fitters edge (14 protein).  She also gets 1 3 lb. coffee can of beet pulp and a scoop of sure champ mineral.  Total feed consumption is 30 lbs. (15 in am, 15 in pm) daily with her halving free choice of a Sudan/Bermuda round bale of hay each evening.  I have been told to increase protein to 15-16 percent to help her grow, but have also been told the opposite as higher protein will "burn her out" and therefore limit frame size.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

diamonddls

Protein is right you could try finding hay with some alfalfa or a protein tub like crystalx. Or mixing some soy or pea meal in the beet pulp.

Cattle Cards

A balanced rations is the key.  Then make sure they have clean water, good roughage and exercise.  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.  Your source of protein depends on where you live. 

Here in Texas alfalfa is expensive and hard to come buy.  Growing up in WI, it was cheep and readily available.  Down south Sudan is a good source protein, is more digestible than alfalfa, corn silage, etc. as well as it does a great job of filling bellies. 

My one question, and it is a question is with all of the stuff you're adding why feed the Honor® Show Chow® Fitter’s Edge®?  I use Honor ® Show Chow® Full Range™.  I've used it as part of my creep feed ration and my buddy is using it on his heifer that's going to the majors.  It's designed to be a start to finish base product.  Because we all doctor up our rations.  It was the reason they added it their line of feeds last year.  And I do believe it's cheeper.  Just something to look at.  Don't just compare tags.  Remember your entire ration.

CowboyPT

Thanks for the replies.  I am located in oklahoma.  No feed store around my area carries the Honor Show chow full range and I was not aware of it.  I will see if my feed store will order some.  I was adding the custom ration in with the fitters edge to cheapen it up some.  We raise alfalfa hay, so access to it is no problem.  When I showed 20 years ago we would feed it sparingly because we thought it made the cattle shed hair faster as the weather started to warm.  All the input is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts