Feeding Program

Help Support Steer Planet:

g4cattle

What type of feeding program would you recommend for a heifer?  This is one area I'm looking to improve in.

Bradenh

feed her finisher 1 time a day until she is as fat as you would like to see, then when shes conditioned right, start adding cottonseed hulls and beetpulp to hold her at that stage (dont get her too fat) and keep all they hay out that she wants

Quello

My son is new to doing "club calves" and was reading this artivle on the feeding program and he expresses the importance of the minerals of 1oz of ADM/Alliance chlortetracycline medicated mineral per feeding.  Does anyone know of a brand of this mineral that I can buy somewhere.  Currently the ration that he uses that is mixed by the mill has a mineral pellet included with the corn oats and mollasses.  thank you for any and all help that you can provide.

shorthornmn

If you are having a feed mill mix your feed and they have a nutritionist that helped you with your ration, it should have all the mineral in it that you need (but check the ration reciept that they give you). If your feed mill doesn't have a nutritionist on hand, go to a feed company that does like Landmark etc.  Feeding more mineral than the animal requires doesn't help you AT ALL and can just cost you money. Most excess minerals in the heifer, steer, bull, or cow's body is not stored (their are a few exceptions), they are just excreted. Same with vitamins. Yes, all minerals are not created equal, however you don't necessarily have to buy a very certain brand. You can find others that are just as good. What we've found is that not all cattle respond the same to the same feed, mineral, hay ect. If a brand isn't working, switch!

Quello

Thanks for the input!  They do not have a nutritionist on hand.  I believe that it is based  on a past experience.  I like buying my feed bulk one because it is cheaper and two out of having to only go to the feed store once a month. 

chambero

I would not feed a medicated feed with chlortetracycline in it.  Personally, I don't think its needed - especially on a show calf that has had all of its vaccinations. 

An easy to get supplement is any of the Purina line - Power Fuel, etc.  Some are higher protein, some are higher fat (Power Fuel).  I would buy Power Fuel and go with that.  Another good one is Vita Ferm Sure Champ (which is what we use).

AAOK

chambero said:
I would not feed a medicated feed with chlortetracycline in it.  Personally, I don't think its needed - especially on a show calf that has had all of its vaccinations. 

An easy to get supplement is any of the Purina line - Power Fuel, etc.  Some are higher protein, some are higher fat (Power Fuel).  I would buy Power Fuel and go with that.  Another good one is Vita Ferm Sure Champ (which is what we use).

The reason I recommend the chlortet mineral is because a wise old Dairy Nutritionist told me many years ago that small amount of medication will greatly reduce the the cows and calves from getting low level infections.