feeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

muggssy

We have a calf that weighs 1155 today (May 3).  Our county show is in the middle of August.  He has cover, but it feels kind of hard to the touch if that makes any sense.  He is a little tight in the flank, would like for him to be a little deeper there.  We were shooting for a weight of about 1350.  I've heard 2 schools of thought, both from very well respected, successful steer guys.  One said to feed 3 lbs. feed and 3 lbs. beet pulp twice a day.  The other suggested mixing rolled or cracked corn with the feed and cutting roughage.  I've heard that too much corn burns hair?!?  Anyways, I was hoping to get some suggestions from the sp crew ;).  What do ya think?

M-n-M Cattle Company

Hey I guess that we are in the same boat. My steer weights way to much and dosn't sell until Sept. Anyways alot of people have told me about the corn, I tried it and its working great. The hair on my calf hasn't changed at all. He's a Heat wave 1 and has the amazing hair that you can do anything with. But again that just one case, and your circumstances may be didfferent.

JoeDirt

muggssy said:
We have a calf that weighs 1155 today (May 3).  Our county show is in the middle of August.  He has cover, but it feels kind of hard to the touch if that makes any sense.  He is a little tight in the flank, would like for him to be a little deeper there.  We were shooting for a weight of about 1350.  I've heard 2 schools of thought, both from very well respected, successful steer guys.  One said to feed 3 lbs. feed and 3 lbs. beet pulp twice a day.  The other suggested mixing rolled or cracked corn with the feed and cutting roughage.  I've heard that too much corn burns hair?!?  Anyways, I was hoping to get some suggestions from the sp crew ;).  What do ya think?
[/quote

Give us some pictures and we might be able to tell better

TJ

muggssy said:

#1) Myself personally, I would not attempt to slow him down too much yet.  You have 100 days (give or take) to gain 200 lbs. that's 2 lbs. per day.  Plus, the calf can be, and may be, shrunk a little before weigh in.  Weigh him every 2-3 weeks & evaluate where you stand.  I'd rather go in a little heavy, than a little light, as it's much easier to take off a little than it is to put it on at the last second.  Regardless, I would have him eating a good amount the final 2 weeks... you want him looking fresh.   

#2) Feeding beet pulp will help to deepen the flank.  Cutting the roughage will not help the flank, IMHO.  I think feeding 6 lbs. of beet pulp a day sounds like a good plan.  I think that I'd feed more than 6 lbs. of feed per day with it though.  If he's ahead of schedule in a month, cut him back a little. 

#3) Too much corn can burn the hair. 

#4) If you want a little softer cover or more cover, add a little oil/increase the fat content.  Just don't get too carried away or they will get loose. 

#5) I am not a feed expert, so you may want to speak with one.  ;)

chambero

12 pounds of feed total per day isn't anywhere near enough for a calf that size unless you are really pulling one down at the end.

The only reason to cut roughage is if you are having to work hard to get one fat.  Doesn't sound like that is your problem. 

Depending on how much roughage your basic feed has in it, I'd consider feeding beet pulp (or one of the other bulky additives) at approximately a 3 feed:1 filler ratio if your calf is probably going to get fat enough pretty easily.