Feeding show heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shawn_Larsen17

We always have a problem getting heifers to have big bellies and look full at shows, they are fat but they look kind of sloppy I was wondering if anybody had any feeding tips for me.

rjb

First thing there must always be hay for them weather a round bale or flakes but they need this. Second what I do is right now when I'm getting them they go on a finisher. Ill put them on full feed till about the first of the year then ill start adding in depth charge continue on that till the first of may or when I breed them. Then u have to determine that calf's condition. Needs more condition ill continue with finisher but ill add beet pulp and winning fill with the depth charge. If she getting to fat. Ill go to a grower but ration will be higher with the fibers. I think the main key to belly is getting one bred early ad staying on those filler like hay depth charge winning fill and beet pulp

paj315

We feed wet beet pulp mixed in with our regular feed. We have tried depth charge and couldnt tell any difference in our calves. Maybe it was just our calves ? But we always have good luck with the beet pulp. Also we feed Payload from Umbargers . Love this feed it was designed for heifers to add depth and let me tell you it does. Might try to locate an Umbarger dealer in your area.