Feeding Steers Soybeans

Help Support Steer Planet:

~Normande~

Hi,
So my father and I are raising a steer for the local county fair and for a more natural protein source we are going to use soybeans. We have been using whole raw beans but we have noticed that in their manure they do not digest them well. We were thinking of trying to let them swell in water over night before feedings. They are non-GMO food grade soybeans are low moisture. Can you feed them swelled? Are there any side effects or down sides to it?
Thank you, Andrea:) (P.S. My steer is 8 months old Black Angus Steer and is around 650 and the show is in late July)

worthabit

You can feed them whole but for the most efficient use of the protein they should be roasted and run thru some sort of mill. These processes allow for easier digestion of the bean.

paj315

Never fed soybeans myself but have heard several old timers say they soaked them first , don't really know why but thats what they always said.

hamburgman

Soybean protein is not highly available to cattle unless cooked.  Feeding large amounts of soybeans to a calf can also result in an osmotic diarrhea.

simba

They sell soy meal at the feed stores around here. Works well as a protien source and there's no preparation needed, you just mix it into your feed.

shortyjock89

We feed soy hull pellets to developing heifers and bulls, it's a great high- protein, high-fibre foodstuff.

Mainevent

We fed Roasted Soybeans to my steer to help add finish close to the show, but never used it as main foodstuff

ploughshare

Raw beans have trypsin inhibiting enzyme which will interfere with protein digestion in ruminants.  Extruded beans feed well, contain oil and the extrusion process inactivates the bad enzymes.  Feed extruded beans when you need both energy and protein.  Used commonly in dairy cow diets. Roasting the beans will also work.

~Normande~

Thank you for sharing that link. And these beans are properly stored and kept at low moisture as we have a set up for storing beans on our farm, we have not yet seen any beans that are damaged and hopefully won't:) Thank you for using your time to help.