Feeds

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tristenh216

I'm looking for advice on feeds for a show steer. I need a descent priced feed that will grow a steer really well. Make him look good and get to 1300 or more pounds

brianp

ok as a newbee / dumbass  I was told you can't feed 15lbs to a calf. How do you not founder them?  THANKS

cowman 52

Founder comes from too much protien and energy from feed stuff like corn, barley, high energy feeds, keep it toned down to some extent and you won't have problems.
A calf belly is designed to run best at full capacity, when you get the hang of it you will see a little more feed with a little less power in it is more efficient than a little feed with a lot of power.

vc

For Brianp: The rule of thumb is 2-3 percent of their body weight, so a 500 lb calf should be eating between 10 and 15 lbs. Not only feeding the right feed, like a developer, but working them into the feed.
Most show calves have been on creep so they have had some grain, when you first start feeding a new feed you start out slow, 4-5 pounds a feeding with plenty of hay. You monitor their stool, appetite, and watch for bloat, you slowly add feed to each feeding until you work them up to the 3 percent of their body weight. If they start to get to loose, slow down on their eating or you start to notice an abundance of undigested grain in their stool, you back off on the grain for a few days and then continue increasing the feed. It can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to get them where you want them. The same with a calf that has never been on feed, just start with 2 to 3 pounds, you do it slowly, over time, and you monitor them through the process.
If you are switching feed and you have both the old and the new feed, you slowly add a couple of pounds of the new and subtract the same amount of the old until they or fully on the new feed.
Most bagged feeds will give you feeding instructions and most if not all will have you feeding 2-3 percent at full feed.

OH Breeder

Tristenh216 said:
I'm looking for advice on feeds for a show steer. I need a descent priced feed that will grow a steer really well. Make him look good and get to 1300 or more pounds

That depends on your location. If you are just feeding one calf you can feed a bag feed and it won't break the bank. If you don't have a mill close by to get milled feed then bagged feed may be your only option.
We personally like milled feed because we feed quiet a bit but also because we can change the ration around to meet our calves needs quickly vs buying another bagged feed. We have fed both bagged and milled. For me, milled is so much easier. See AAOK ration it is a good one. You can tweek it to your needs.
I would suggest you find an adviser or someone who knows and you trust on how to feed the steer. Possibly the breeder you purchased the calf from? They should be able to advise you on the calf. You should evaluate your calfs condition and appetite regularly. You may have to change the ration around a bit til you get exactly what you want. Regionally certain things are more readily available than others.