few questions steers for 4-Hers

Help Support Steer Planet:

bernalillo4H

Hi,
I am new to this site, but have a few questions. You all really seem to know what you are doing. I am planning to show a steer at both county and state fair through 4-H this coming fall. I have shown cattle the past few years but never a steer. I have a connection to possibly get a Chiangus steer. Do any of you have any thoughts on that particular breed of cattle? Are they good in show? In our county and state we have strictly blow and go shows, no fitting, we are allowed to trim them before entering the fair grounds.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jill

This is just my opinion, but ChiAngus generally make better heifers than steers, they normally just don't have the power to compete unless you have a ChiAngus class.

Nasc

You might be better off giving some particulars as to the month/months you will be showing and which State or region you will be participating in.

We are in Ohio and the State and our County shows take place in August.
Chiangus steers is not what is hot around here right now.
But that could be different for you depending upon where you are located.
It seems Heatseeker/Meyer/WMW blood lines are found in almost every champion market steer we have seen around here the past few years.
So we tend to look for "composites" when selecting a show steer.

bernalillo4H

We are in New Mexico. County fair is in August and State fair is in September. At our fairs I have seen a lot of Angus (usually crossed with something) , some Maine Anjou and a few Charlias and shorthorn between county and state. Our shows are not very large right now. This year at county we had 10 steers and at state we had about 80. Small, I know.  I would love to be able to go show at other shows such as Arizona National but I am too busy right now to be able to commit to that. Last year a member won 4th place at county with a sale barn steer.

Thanks all for the help  ;)

chiangus

oh, i am a chiangus guy as you can see by my username, but if you want them big, wide, and stout, get some maine and clubby in them

bernalillo4H

Thanks for the info. We are going to look at some next month in Amarillo. Have you heard of Charles Burk? If so does he have pretty nice calves?

Dero

As the others have stated a Chiangus steer may not be the thickest steer at you show, for the most part they are easy feeders and will finish nicely for you.  So if you are wanting a calf to help you learn the basics of feeding a steer I don't think you can go wrong with a Chiangus calf. 

bernalillo4H

I'm so glad I asked you all for your thoughts. This is only our third year to show and second year to show steers. Last year we showed only at county fair with an angus cross, and this year my brother wants to do something a little nicer..... I'm not sure he will put the money where his mouth is though. What should we expect to pay for a County/State fair calf?

CAB

You may want to PM j3cattle here on the planet. Josh also lives in NM and maybe able to get you set up with a competitive steer.

chambero

bernalillo4H said:
Thanks for the info. We are going to look at some next month in Amarillo. Have you heard of Charles Burk? If so does he have pretty nice calves?

I know Charles Burk very well, used to show calves from him, and have bought bulls from him more recently.  You won't find a better person to deal with.  If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

jallen

Yeah I would agree with most of them a very good cow but for steers just dont have the bone under them.