Fill on show cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Judge

Never heard that one before how much would you give them?

AAOK

It actually does help.  We would top off a 4 gal bucket with a 2 liter bottle of Sprite/7Up only when really necessary.  The best thing is to bring water from home to the Shows, and give your calf a little Alfalfa before the drink.  Do this while dressing, not when it's time to go to the ring.

Mainevent

What we do is get to the barn a tad earlier so that you can get the calf washed dried and let them chill out before you start getting them ready all the while keeping feed, beet pulp, oats, depth charge etc. and hay Sudan or alfalfa preferred. I usually don't water that morning and at times, depending on how hard it is to fill one up, the night before. Then water before you head to the ring.

RyanChandler

Judge said:
Never heard that one before how much would you give them?

Slam you a sprite and see if it doesn't make your stomach bulge. Lol.  I know after I'd drench my steers with a 2 liter, they'd look worlds better.  This needs to be fairly soon before you show as obviously, it's only a quick fix.

oakview

Speaking of fill, I just received my Shorthorn Insider email and noticed an article about this very subject.  It referred to another method of filling an animal at the show and a subsequent protest.  Check it out if you can.  Unfortunately, this sort of thing has been going on for a long time.

rackranch

All the major rules read ''no artificial fillers'' to include carbonated beverages ect.

It needs to be approved for cattle.  Even using products made for horses is considered ''off label'' when you get right down to it.

To the op, I use Depth Charge, beet pulp, and the show day routine described above by Mainevent.

rackranch

Cut and pasted from the rule book..

Any liquid or substance not co
nsidered part of an accepted and normal diet for livestock is deemed illegal and
inhumane. For example, the use of alcoholic and carbonated beverages as a drench or filler. Examples of
accepted and normal diet would include water (non-
carbonated), electr
olytes, FDA approved medications
(Koapectine).

GoWyo

My recollection is that somebody killed a heifer at a show in Canada 2 or 3 years ago with too much soda pop.  She bloated and died on the way out of the ring.

KFShorthorns

GoWyo said:
My recollection is that somebody killed a heifer at a show in Canada 2 or 3 years ago with too much soda pop.  She bloated and died on the way out of the ring.

Yes it was a cow at Canadian Western Agribition a couple years ago. There was ALOT of sprite/7up put into the cow and she was a stumbling/shitting mess before she ever went in the ring. I believe the judge refused to place the pair, and she died on the way back to the barns.