Finally Pictures of my daughters Fair Steer!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

fbrmom

Finally got the halter on my daughters 4-H steer today and got some pictures of him.  Our weigh in is Dec 15th and our fair is the last week of July.  I finished the fitting chute today to, so I think I had a pretty productive day.  I think he looks pretty good, he is a hereford/angus cross and was born the first part of April.  He is from my dad's cattle and was the nicest looking one he had.  The father of this steer weighed 2800lb at 3 yrs old when my dad sold him, he was a registered angus and threw huge calves, dad didn't know what his breeding was though, he didn't even look at the papers, just threw them is a drawer and took them when he sold him.  He looks a little short on the front end, but that is the way he was standing in the barn.  I think he needs a little threw the butt, but let me know what you think.  I figure he is about 650lb but hoping to tape him tonight for the first time, forgot today.  He is pretty hairy and i guess that is something you want. Let me know what you think.  I am ordering the Vitaferm vitamins this week and I have my show feed coming on Tuesday, up until now he has been on grass and corn/oats chop with no vitamins or anything.  I am hoping that the combination of a good show feed and the vitamins will help him grow good for fair.  Thanks. 

Attachments

• DSC_0437.JPG
    DSC_0437.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0442.JPG
    DSC_0442.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0440.JPG
    DSC_0440.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 260

PaFFA Proud

I think he is a pretty nice looking steer, u can tell he is going to easily put on the weight no problem. He is also eye catching, I wouldnt mind having him (lol)

fbrmom

Thanks.  I don't think he's too bad, but I am worried about his weight.  I taped him tonight and it read 775lb.  If that is right he should weigh between 1300 and 1500 by fair.  1500 is our max number for our fair so if she is going to make weight and keep him under 1500 it will take alot of walking.  I hope he will do fine.  He doesn't like the halter, he fights it every time you touch it hopefully tomorrow will be better.  But thanks I like him.

katie_k

where are you located?  it helps with putting on weight if you are in certain areas at certains times of the year.  also weather conditions are different

iowabeef

Might be the pic and angle but his neck has a lot of waste.....try a neck sweat collar to try and cut this down

Ms Ray

fbrmom said:
Thanks.  I don't think he's too bad, but I am worried about his weight.  I taped him tonight and it read 775lb.  If that is right he should weigh between 1300 and 1500 by fair.  1500 is our max number for our fair so if she is going to make weight and keep him under 1500 it will take alot of walking.  I hope he will do fine.  He doesn't like the halter, he fights it every time you touch it hopefully tomorrow will be better.  But thanks I like him.

your weight should be fine just tape him every few weeks,  I don't have a scale and we use a tape also, what I like to do is a get real weight on him at weigh in or a jackpot and then tape him right away because each animal is a little diffrent how accurate the tape is.  When you get closer to the weight you want there are product you can give to help hold the weight, if you don't have a weigh back you can also hold water before weigh in at fair.

rackranch

X3, a lot of exrea leather up front... is there anyway you can take a pic of the steers head from the front so I can see his ears and how they fall??? Thanks

Bradenh

rackranch said:
is there anyway you can take a pic of the steers head from the front so I can see his ears and how they fall??? Thanks
id like to see it too, he would sure look good as an american  ;)

fbrmom

For those who wanted a picture of his face, I have these, will they help?  Keep the suggestions coming.  I checked his neck and yeah, he has alot of flab there, because our fair is so small maybe 3 or 4  kids in my daughters class and if she wins that she will be in with 3 kids, do i really need to tighten up his neck, I was gonna try the trashbag idea, i understand he would have to have it done every day.  This is still very new to us, we just want the best steer we can get. 

fbrmom

sorry computer is acting up! heres the picture

Attachments

• DSC_0444 (2).jpg
    DSC_0444 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 213

fbrmom

Found a better picture of his face. 

Attachments

• 73565_1463685234218_1296114374_31115945_3023647_s.jpg
    73565_1463685234218_1296114374_31115945_3023647_s.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 330

bocampo

Do you show breeds or altogether? if you show breeds i wouldn't worry about a sweat collar. He could go American

rackranch

Thanks for the pics.. if your show splits the divisions into British, Continental, and American I would run him American... I feel he would be more competitive... If not feed him out and have fun... BTW your Dad's neighbor may of had a bull jump the fence because he doen't really look like a pure bred Angus on a Pure bred Herford but thats just my opinion...

fbrmom

We don't do those classes, ours are divided Angus, hereford, simmetal, charlois, crossbred, and what ever else purebred they need, they throw in.  Our 4-h show is so small we don't even have to have papers, just looks is o.k. to qualify to show in the class.  We will show as a crossbred.  His dad was a purebred angus and his mom was an angus, herford, charlois cross.  We only have those classes and they are divided up into weight classes under these classes.  So our classes are light weight angus, medium weight angus, heavy weight angus, etc for all the breeds. The winner of each weight class then goes against each other for the winner of the breed class.  Then each breed class winner goes against each other for the winner overall.  We usually show 3 times.  We show weight/ breed class then we show either jr. showmanship (8 - 13) or sr showmanship (14-18) and jr. fitting or sr fitting.  Thats our fair, then the cattle are sold on a friday night at auction.  We only show 1 day not 2 which is nice being that we have 3 days of horse shows.