First calf this year out of Rocky Balboa

Help Support Steer Planet:

DB

We had our first calf of the new year out of a first time heifer sired to Rocky Balboa.  We had no trouble she calved unassisted with a 65-70 pound heifer calf.  Very excited about what the future my hold for this calf.  Anyway, the calf is healthy and pretty nice.  No calving problems with him so far we have one more to calve that is bred to him.  I am going to try and get a picture of the calf tomorrow to post.  I am trying to figure out how to put pictures on board to show.

keduhpn

Good to hear that about Rocky!

I have a brangusXmaine heifer bred to him and is due on May 5th. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I would like to see the picts of your calf!

kswlaw

I also had a RB calf on 3/12/09. She was a small calf about 50#. This was a first time heifer, (wmw/sire-goldmember) she is really starting to get thick, but was an unasssisted birth. I like him as a !st timer on heifers.

DB

We had our 2nd first time heifer calve today at 2 with another rocky balboa calf and again she calved unassisted with a 60 pound calf.  No problems at all.  So that makes two Rocky Balboa calves that we had that was calved unassisted and both weighed between 60 and 70 pounds. will try and get some pics on soon

chambero

Here is a Rocky Balboa steer we had last fall that my son will be showing this year.  This one is out of a Friction heifer (this is her first calf).  This photo is from back in February.  He's going to be a pretty small calf, but is going through a growth spurt right now and doesn't look as good right now as he did, but I think he'll come back around.  We've got two more Rocky steers out in the pasture still on their momma.  They are good calves, just not quite good enough to make the cut to come to town for show steers.

DSC_01021.JPG

jeffb1

Two of the three breds we sold at our Beef Expo were bred to R. B. , I have spoken with the individual who purchased them and he said both calved unassisted with his estimate being in the "70's" on BW. He seemed very satisfied and said they were both good calves and one is really stout. JB

justme

chambreo and others with RB experience.  Do you think they really get large enough frame size?  That is something I worry about with him and is what is keeping me from trying him.  My cows are pretty moderate with an exception of a few and really don't want to downsize.

chambero

justme said:
chambreo and others with RB experience.  Do you think they really get large enough frame size?  That is something I worry about with him and is what is keeping me from trying him.  My cows are pretty moderate with an exception of a few and really don't want to downsize.

We're gonna have to see on that one.  The calf in the photo is in the barn, but he is our smallest calf.  He doesn't look like a short dumpy one, but we'll see.  Complicating things is he is out of a first calf heifer.  My two steers out in the pasture are right there in size with our herd average probably.  I can more accurately answer your question a year from now.

By the way, his calves were a little bigger than I like for heifers.  We used him on for second calvers this year.  I had to pull (an easy one) the calf pictured.  We had another one that was pretty good sized.  We don't weigh calves, but they were bigger than what I really like messing with on heifers.

PaddyO

I'd like pics too. Have a Ali and Full Force heifer bred to him