First clip job

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Wow a bargin for $100 and a pretty good steer to boot, you did a nice job for the 1st time, the shoulders are the only real thing I can see that needs blended around the point of the
shoulder, one really good way to learn is go to a big show and watch the really good guys, and ask questions, and practice, practice , practice.  Good Job keep it up.

dori36

Camo said:
Well I'm a neebie and this is my first clip job. So how did I do? What can I work on?  We paid 100 dollars for this steer out of the field for my sons market project. He weighed 495 on Nov 1 and our fair is in Sept? I have been reading all your blogs and leaning a ton, like working on hair with all your concoction lol. thanks

Good grief, the clip job is dang good for a first attempt, as others have pointed out.  Yes smooth the shoulder hair into the neck a little better and work a little on the underside.  But, I'm most impressed that you could get a nice steer out of a pasture for $100!!!  You go, girl!  One little suggestion would be to work a bit on standing him up to pose a little more like the attached picture. This is a heifer but it still shows a good pose to work toward.  Offset the hind legs some and try to extend his front and level his topline a little.  Nice goin'!!

Flash:  I tried to attach the picture but SP wouldn't take it.  It's real small so I don't know what the problem is.  Are we still having photo attaching problems?  SP also keeps telling me I already submitted aa response but it's not posted.  Help!  I'm trying it for the 3rd time without a photo!

.....and trying again to attach the photo I referenced above, last night!  Hey, it worked this time!!!

Attachments

• flisynwsssm.jpg
    flisynwsssm.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 234

CJC

Camo said:
Well I'm a neebie and this is my first clip job. So how did I do? What can I work on?  We paid 100 dollars for this steer out of the field for my sons market project. He weighed 495 on Nov 1 and our fair is in Sept? I have been reading all your blogs and leaning a ton, like working on hair with all your concoction lol. thanks

Not bad For the first time. 100 dollar steer! Man if you win I'll probably be able to hear the crying from the steer jocks all the way down here in Texas. Good Luck 

braunvieh

Ditto on what everyone has said. Great calf at a super price and a heck of a good job for a clipping rookie.

Camo

thanks everyone for your response.I will wok on the shoulder and the underline and I will keep you posted on my progress.  He is a great little steer.  Also Steirwalt video is on the xmas list.lol

doubled

I have attached a picture of a calf that my son clipped and groomed maybe that will help you with what a calf should look like. 
I personally dont like the tail head but we were at a no rule show so the sky was the limit.

Attachments

• pictures 032.jpg
    pictures 032.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 236

Camo

That is a really nice looking steer! He does a great job, maybe i will be that good some day! practice practice practice lol

doubled

Camo said:
That is a really nice looking steer! He does a great job, maybe i will be that good some day! practice practice practice lol

Thanks on the steer, but the best way my son learned was to watch the big boys, ask questions and he practiced at home all the time, he made alot of mistakes along the way but he has a good hand so that helps, and a talent for it, he is just 21 so he still has alot to learn but started grooming for money when he was 17 at small shows.  Now he is living his dream, farming and attempting to raise his own show cattle and selling them (but that is really hard).  So time will tell, keep up the good work you are doing great for just starting and people here on steer planet give good advice along the way.  Good Luck.

herfchic

That is a really, really nice steer for $100, and you did a good job for your first time clipping.  I've been to a couple of the Steirwalt clinics and I really liked them.  He is good about letting you clip your calf and not trying to do it for you.  Good Luck!!