First Defense

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsuhr

What are people's preferences for new born calf care? The first defense paste or bolus? The paste tubes are a little bit more expensive but I'm not sure if there is an extra benefit to using that method. This is our first year using this product, so just curious how others have used it in the past.

Till-Hill

Doc said:
We use the bolus and swear by the product.
I'll 2nd that. Ever since getting first defense pill in calves asap we have not treated a calf for scours. Sometimes you can find them on sale late fall and find a coupon and get them pretty cheap.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

We have always used the bolus with great success. I swear by the product, however, this year our vet talked us into trying one package of the paste, haven't used it yet but I figure the paste will be easier for my wife to give a calf if I'm not around rather than her trying to get a bolus down a newborns throat. The paste is also supposed to turn their stool blue so you know they truly swallowed it. Both products are supposed to provide the exact same protection it just depends what method is easier for you I guess.