First Generation Rancher

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

I am trying to break into the cattle industry as a first generation rancher. I am lucky to have a mentor who has been in the business for most of his life. I plan to here soon sit down with him and really pick his brain about his success and failures. I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for questions to ask? Or do any of you have your own words of wisdom for breaking into what seems at times to be a "good ol boys" club?

Thanks in advance!! 

Pleasant Grove Farms

what are your goals?
what is your vision for what type of cattle you want to raise and where you will market them?

need some more details to assist you!

knabe

When did you stop buying cattle based on what they looked like and bought them on the profit they made you and what was the difference in how they looked and what were their price ranges.

When did you start focusing on areas of production other than how good your cattle looked like and where are your profit centers. Where are others biggest losses and lost opportunities.

b_kackley

How much ground do you have available? What type of operation do you want? What type of facilities will you need to handle cattle? Are you going to buy your hay or raise your own? How much labor do you have available? What breeds are you going to run? There are lots of questions.

diamonddls

Ask why as much as politely possible. Also just listen the old timers pass on a lot of knowledge if we are just smart enough to listen. I wished I knew that when I was younger helping some of the local ranchers growing up. Too many of them good fellows are gone now. So now that I'm a bit older I listen to each story and word like its gold so I can think back to them for the hidden wisdoms. Some of the best advice I've heard comes around the coffee table after a days work such as branding and weaning days.

diamonddls

My own tid bit would be respect what has worked but don't be afraid to put your twist on things. The world the market and business is always changing so don't be afraid to take the old and innovate to fit the new. But stay true to what makes it yours. When you enjoy it its a lifestyle not a job.