First time dealing with warts

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorn boy

hello, I have a bull that i am showing and he has a few good sized warts that need to be taken care of. I did some searching on here and found that most of you like to cut them off and feed them back too them and then put iodine where the warts use to be. My bull is white and i am concerned about staining the hair. Would Dr. Scholls freeze away work well on cattle warts? ??? Is there any other method that would work well? Thanks for your help in advance.

Trails End Ranch

We have found that ripping the wart off (make sure to get all of it) and then freezing it with liquid nitrogen works very well.  We have found that the human wart remover does not freeze the cattle warts very good. With your bull being white you should not have any many marks as the nitrogen will turn it white. Hope this helps some.

braunvieh

I have had pretty good luck cutting off one, even if i did not get ever bit of it, but enough that it will bleed. Most times it will shrink and not come back and others usually go away too. However this winter, we had an lot more calves with warts than ever before, not sure why, but some have not cleared up with that method.

brenn

I had a steer with warts a few years back; I used hemostats; but pliers would work too, I just pulled them off and put "Wart Off" where they were and they didn't grow back.

Hilltop

Sounds kind of gross but if you can get as much of it pulled off as possible and then feed it to them.

Bulldaddy

Warts are contagious and usually come into a herd with a new addition.  Just pull them off with pliers and they should heal.  They are unsightly but pose no other problems.  I have never seen one on a mature cow or bull.

SouthWest

Squeeze a wart to a pulp with a pair of pliers.  Do not pull off.  You will introduce the wart virus into the animals blood system.  The animals body will produce it own serum to fight the warts.  In less than a week, all the warts will fall off.  I have done it on steers, heifers, and a horse with severe problem.  It works everytime. 

shorthorn boy

thank you everyone for the feed back , i have a couple questions though, if i were to cut them off and feed it back to him how long till i see results? and do i just need to pull of one? can i just use pliers to pull one off instead of cutting it? squeezing the wart is an interesting idea too south west, do i just need to sqeeze one?

WHLR SIMMENTALS

pull them with pliers and feed them back!! Its the best medicine and there will be little to no blood! We do it all the time at various cattle farms!

flacowman

We have always squeezed ever since granddaddy started 64 years ago.  Just squeeze one or two and they'll all fall off in a week or two and there is little blood, though there will be some. And yes, pliers will work perfectly for squeezing, pulling, or holding them to cut off, whatever you choose.

SouthWest

I squeeze one fairly large one on two average size ones with a regualar set of pliers.  Will take care of it in a week.

HelenH

Has anyone dealt with bump under or in cattle hide up to 1/3" dia.  I've expected this to break through skin as a wart, but hasn't (3 mos.+)  There are some smaller ones too. 

Show Heifer

HelenH said:
Has anyone dealt with bump under or in cattle hide up to 1/3" dia.  I've expected this to break through skin as a wart, but hasn't (3 mos.+)   There are some smaller ones too.   

Haven't heard about them for years in our area, but what you describe sounds like warbles. They can make a large bump under the hide, near the spine. They incubate and then "hatch", which they dig their way out, and leave an open hole.

Check into the time line to kill them, as killing them at the wrong time is a huge no-no.

HelenH

reply to show heifer:

It isn't warble.  Our DVM claim the warble fly is history.  This is  much smaller; the size of your small fingernail. Located on the animal's side.
I anticipate the areas may become tender when the coat is worked.