Fitting Chute Designs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmgirl03

I am looking for a good set of fitting chute blueprints so that my husband and I can build and surprise my little brother with one before the Spring/Summer show season starts.  We live in Eastern Oregon and go to very few shows so the cost to purchase and ship a new Sullivan Chute is just very unrealistic, but if we could find a good set of plans we are more than capable of building one ourselves. 

If you could send me any information you have it would be greatly appreciated!

--Katie

Jill

I don't have a set of plans, but we built one off the diminsions of one we already had, by the time we figured everything in we really didn't save anything and have since just bought them from Sullivans.  I don't know what shipping would cost, but you may be able to find one used in your area.

ShowmanQ

I am with Jill on this one. Building one used to be the way to go, but not with the current costs of materials. Try and find a family getting out of showing and go "show barn fishing". A family in our county just got out of showing, and we just bought their aluminum hybrid chute, 3 show halters, a box of rope halters, misc. adhesives and liquids, for $475. (clapping)

midway6376

A few years ago I ended up built one and it cost me only around $100. Which I think is pretty cheap compared to Sullivan's. Which I know steel price is up and I don't know how much materials would be know. But when I built mine the dimensions were in the Sulivan's catalog and I just went off that.

BCCC

Call sullivans and ask their deminsions, and they will tell you what yo uwant to know.

farmerboy317

we just built one and it only cost about $300  and it's the same size as the sullivan's 7ft chute, but it's about 50lbs lighter

Simmgirl03

Thank you all for the input.  I keep having mixed feelings about it; but I think we are going to go ahead and try to build our own.  We have a reasonably priced metal supplier near our home and I think we can pull a design and dimensions from somewhere.  We are hoping to be able to have a completed project for under $300-350, which is way less than half price when shipping is considered from Sullivan.  I'm hoping with the money we save I can get some other new stuff  ;D!  Wish me luck!

Thanks again!
--Katie

CJB

Good luck to you.  Let us know how things turn out.  Hopefully they'll turn out  (clapping) (thumbsup)

red

my hubby has built about 6 chutes over the years. He uses aluminum so that makes them more expensive. He has made a lot of changes over time especially in the flooring & squeeze bar. Ours are totally portable, they fold completely up & can be easily wheeled.
I think there isn't a big savings in price but he likes to do things that suit him. Quality wise, ours are probably better because he is a very excellent welder.

Red

jason

red said:
my hubby has built about 6 chutes over the years. He uses aluminum so that makes them more expensive. He has made a lot of changes over time especially in the flooring & squeeze bar. Ours are totally portable, they fold completely up & can be easily wheeled.
I think there isn't a big savings in price but he likes to do things that suit him. Quality wise, ours are probably better because he is a very excellent welder.

Red

aluminum would be nice for  the weight

There is a metal scrap yard in Wichita that has round and square tubing of about every size called the yard.

AAOK

Simmgirl03 said:
I am looking for a good set of fitting chute blueprints so that my husband and I can build and surprise my little brother with one before the Spring/Summer show season starts.  We live in Eastern Oregon and go to very few shows so the cost to purchase and ship a new Sullivan Chute is just very unrealistic, but if we could find a good set of plans we are more than capable of building one ourselves. 

--Katie

http://allaluminum.com/ags.html

jason

Nice chute, not a welder myself but people have always told me that welding aluminum takes  quite a bit more skill over just steel.

AAOK said:
Simmgirl03 said:

--Katie

http://allaluminum.com/ags.html

braunvieh

Sullivans now has an economy chute, which is steel but lighter weight and not as heavy duty. We have used ours lots for the 1 1/2 years we have had it and have found it to be plenty heavy duty. We specifically got it b/c we didn't want to pay the extra $$ for an aluminum.  It is $465 on their website. My brother did build us the side panels for our display and it was much cheaper than buying them.

Cattledog

farmerboy317 said:
we just built one and it only cost about $300  and it's the same size as the sullivan's 7ft chute, but it's about 50lbs lighter

Man, I wish I had your chute!  Our Sullivan chute is complete back-breaker!  I am going to buy an aluminum chute this year.  I don't think I'm good enough to weld aluminum.

rtmcc

Our "show staff members" are age six and eight so we bit the bullet and went aluminum.  Makes it a lot easier on dad when we are loading the trailer.  Still keep an old steel one set up at home for chute breaking.

BCCC

rtmcc said:
Our "show staff members" are age six and eight so we bit the bullet and went aluminum.  Makes it a lot easier on dad when we are loading the trailer.  Still keep an old steel one set up at home for chute breaking.
I think I am going to have to get rid of my aluminum hybrid and buy one of the half chutes from sullivans. When I first bought it was amazing compared to our steel chutes, However its hell for me to move itany distance anymore with my back and knees.

Dero

We purchased 2 Sullivan 1/2 chutes last year, I love them.  My 11 yr old niece can move them if needed.  Just remember the 1/2 chute is not a breaking chute.

Rocky Hill Simmental

We planned on building one last summer but steel was so high that we got one cheaper from Sullivan's. We got enough money to buy one from selling scrap iron. We orginally wanted an aluminum chute but they cost so much we ended up with a steel one. We got the steel cadillac chute. The economy steel chute was cheaper but my dad thought it would tear up too fast. We have been very satisfied with our cadillac chute so far.

Sometimes you can get used ones from people who only showed in FFA and 4-H once they're too old. I've known of people who have given them away.

Simmgirl03

Just as an update - we got all the metal for our chute at a total cost of $168!  That is 1.5 inch square tubing, the angle iron for the base and the flat iron for the bottom supports and latch for the head catch.  We still have a few small things to puchase; such as wheels and what have you, but it looks like we are going to get this project to come in well under budget!  That is if my husband doesn't change his mind half way though!  :)