Fitting Costs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

ROAD WARRIOR said:
There are exceptions to every rule with out a doubt. I know a few young guys that have learned "the right way" that will cost less money and do a pretty good by anyones standards. When I say "tie out to tie out" that means I will be waiting on you in the morning, lead in, feed, water, wash, blow (if I'm doing the clipping I would just as soon no one else touches the blower) work hair all day and only be gone from the stalls long enough to eat and maybe take a leak. At night after we are done feeding and watering, every animal will be blown out while tied up and then I will lead to tie outs and probably check everyone elses tie job beore I leave. BUT you have to remember I grew up in the big string days when 4 of us would take 20 to 25 head to a show and do it all. I do know that there are a bunch of "kids" (I'm old enough to say that) walking up and down the isles carrying clippers that think they are fitters - they would be too high if they worked for you for free. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky! RW

I'm pretty young and I think I do pretty much like you do. Probably not as good with clippers (no national champions yet, but haven't been doing bad), but I would say I'm pretty OK at most things that go into showing the calves.  I can't remember the last time the people I fit for beating me to the barn in the morning or them stay later.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
There are exceptions to every rule with out a doubt. I know a few young guys that have learned "the right way" that will cost less money and do a pretty good by anyones standards. When I say "tie out to tie out" that means I will be waiting on you in the morning, lead in, feed, water, wash, blow (if I'm doing the clipping I would just as soon no one else touches the blower) work hair all day and only be gone from the stalls long enough to eat and maybe take a leak. At night after we are done feeding and watering, every animal will be blown out while tied up and then I will lead to tie outs and probably check everyone elses tie job beore I leave. BUT you have to remember I grew up in the big string days when 4 of us would take 20 to 25 head to a show and do it all. I do know that there are a bunch of "kids" (I'm old enough to say that) walking up and down the isles carrying clippers that think they are fitters - they would be too high if they worked for you for free. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky! RW

I'm pretty young and I think I do pretty much like you do. Probably not as good with clippers (no national champions yet, but haven't been doing bad), but I would say I'm pretty OK at most things that go into showing the calves.  I can't remember the last time the people I fit for beating me to the barn in the morning or them stay later.

No National Champ, but a Res Champ @ Louisville & a Res. Grand Champ @ the KY Beef Expo, which is pretty good.  

But, I've beaten you to the barn before...  ;)  Of course, you've beaten me too.  

TJ

ROAD WARRIOR said:

Yeah, I know what you mean about tie out to tie out, I'm just not sure that everybody is on the same page & very few anymore would take on 20-25 head with 4 people.  Also, everybody deserves a break.  You can't expect somebody to be working the whole time, that's just not reasonable & $50 per day + expenses is too cheap if they bust it all day long.  I just have too many memories of horror stories that I am not surprised 1 bit that mashowcattle has had problems.       

mashowcattle

well about you saying 50 and expenses is to cheep.. i know a guy that will show up and fitt for me and do a excelent job and just ask for $50 per head but of course he doesnt wash/blow ect but i can sure call him one of the best fitter/clippers i know of down here.. now sure i always give him more than just 50 per head because he does such a great job.. but he also not only fitts my 2 or 3 calves but he will fitt 2 or 3 more of someone elses just for a little extra cash and he also has a heifer of his own he takes around and shows that does really well. i guess there is some really good fitters out there that arent there just for the money but love doing it at the same time.. just gotta find them!

TJ

mashowcattle said:
well about you saying 50 and expenses is to cheep.. i know a guy that will show up and fitt for me and do a excelent job and just ask for $50 per head but of course he doesnt wash/blow ect but i can sure call him one of the best fitter/clippers i know of down here.. now sure i always give him more than just 50 per head because he does such a great job.. but he also not only fitts my 2 or 3 calves but he will fitt 2 or 3 more of someone elses just for a little extra cash and he also has a heifer of his own he takes around and shows that does really well. i guess there is some really good fitters out there that arent there just for the money but love doing it at the same time.. just gotta find them!

$50 per head isn't too cheap... especially if they don't wash, blow, etc.  Depending upon the size of the calf, that could be around $50 per hour give or take.  I'll work work $50 per hour!