five day cidr trial

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

about a month ago we tried the five day cidr trial on three cows. we gave grnh at cidr insert, five days later gave a shot of lut. 12 hours later gave a sht of lut and waited for them to cycle. 72 hours later we had the a.i teh come out to a.i and he told me that not a one was in and it was a waste to even try. three days after that we had one cycle. the other two showed no responce. We have sinced counted 18 days later and started watching the other two and nothing. We plan to set them out along with some others again tomorrow. What is the best way to go about it? Should I do the seven day instead? The cows have unlimited access to minerals and also have pasture about a foot high. Do i need to do something different with the five day? Should I try the seven day? Or could it have been weather etc?

C

cornish

What does the label say?  Last time I read the label- it said either 7 or 8 days, with one shot of Lut, one shot of gnrh was optional. 

AJCattle

We give a shot of GNRH at the time of CIDR insert. Leaving the CIDR in for seven days and giving a shot of lut at CIDR removal. We only give the GNRH at insert just in case the cows don't show very good heat you can have a chance to time AI followed by another shot of GNRH at AI.

LN

I used the five day and had excellent results from it (68% success on my SimAngus cows). I gave the lut shots 8 hours apart. I didn't notice many of my cows cycling before the time AI but that didn't stop them from getting pregnant.

sizzler14

did you time breed them? what time did u time breed them if you did?

Simmgal

I second what LN said. I have had plenty catch when they weren't exactly showing heat signs. The GnRH at breeding improved conception rates significantly..

e/bcattle

From my experience cows dont respond well to the 5 day protocol, I reccomend the 7 day. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

sizzler14

on the five day, You time breed 72 hours after the cidr is pulled right? Not 7 hours after the last shot of lut?

C

cornish

sizzler14 said:
on the five day, You time breed 72 hours after the cidr is pulled right? Not 7 hours after the last shot of lut?

how about on the 7 day?

CAB

sizzler14 said:
about a month ago we tried the five day cidr trial on three cows. we gave grnh at cidr insert, five days later gave a shot of lut. 12 hours later gave a sht of lut and waited for them to cycle. 72 hours later we had the a.i teh come out to a.i and he told me that not a one was in and it was a waste to even try. three days after that we had one cycle. the other two showed no responce. We have sinced counted 18 days later and started watching the other two and nothing. We plan to set them out along with some others again tomorrow. What is the best way to go about it? Should I do the seven day instead? The cows have unlimited access to minerals and also have pasture about a foot high. Do i need to do something different with the five day? Should I try the seven day? Or could it have been weather etc?
I guess I have 2 questions. 1.Why did you give the 2nd shot of lute 12 hours after the first one & 2. did you time breed 72 hours after the first shot of lute or the 2nd shot of lute?

rtmcc

One thing to remember with the 5 day protocal is that the day you put the CIDR in is considered Day 0, not Day 1. So if you give gnrh and put the CIDR in on Monday (day 0) you wouldn't pull it until Saturday. When we pull them we give two doses of prostiglanden at the same time but in different locations (right & left side or neck & rump) NOT a double dose in one hole!
We breed off of visable heats usually showing @ 48 to 60 hours with gnrh and breed what ever is left at 72 hours with gnrh. It is rare that a cow does not show heat or feal good by 72 hours for us. We have had great luck with it.
But remember, the day you start is Day 0, not Day 1.

Ron

nck21

Will it work to leave the cidr in five days and give 1 shot of prosgaglandin at cidr removal on day 5? We are gonna put fresh embryos in recips and need to sync them with the donor.

rtmcc

We have always used two shots.  This would be best answered by your ET person so that they get synched up with the donor if your putting fresh in.  I would check with them.

nck21

They need to be in heat next Friday the 25th. We are going to put cidr's in tomorrow. He said not to give them cystorelin when putting cidr's in. Don't know why.

Take them out wednesday. Two shots would be ideal but my dad is tired of running them through the chute. I want to do it right lol.

LN

Do it right by all means! The five day doesn't work unless two protaglandin shots are given 8 hours apart.

ai er

LN said:
Do it right by all means! The five day doesn't work unless two protaglandin shots are given 8 hours apart.

That is not true. Research has shown minute statistical differences  between giving the shots 8 hours apart or at the same time. I give them the two injections of Lutalyse at the same time and have great luck. I breed of natural heats until 72 hours, then time breed anything left with an injection of GnRH.  This is where I see the biggest difference, as compared to the 7 day protocol. More of the non responders settle.

firesweepranch

nck21 said:
Will it work to leave the cidr in five days and give 1 shot of prosgaglandin at cidr removal on day 5? We are gonna put fresh embryos in recips and need to sync them with the donor.

If it were my recips I would follow the protocol to a T!!!! We are talking embryos here, not AI. Much more of an investment, why mess with it and take the chance of messing it up??? Follow the protocol for best results with embryo work.