Fleas

Help Support Steer Planet:

Delagoose

I just recently bought a steer within the past 3 weeks and I'm having flea problems with him. Before we brought him to the barn,I sprayed the pen down with diluted Clorox and let it sit for about 2 weeks,so I know it's not a problem left from last years steer. We maintain his hair well and 2 nights ago,I sprayed him with a fly spray,like I do every night, and then sprayed ultra boss on him (what our jockey told us to do)& it didn't help much. Tonight,I called our jockey back and he said use a dog flea killer shampoo on,just by using his knowledge of killing fleas on dogs, so I did. Many are gone but we still have quite a bit left. Has anyone else had this problem,Do you know of anything we could use on him to get rid of them,maybe a medicated shampoo or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!

shortii

Well the problem is that your steer has lice not fleas. You need to go to a TSC or a vet/vet supply and buy some Ivomec or Iveron, something along that lines that says it kills lice and other parasites in bovine. If the person that sold you the steer says its hard on his hair than make him/her give the steer a shot.

rackranch

For fleas, buy permethrin10% concentrate, and spray him and your barn.  Feed store or Tractor supply should have it for less than 20 dollars a bottle.  One bottle will last for a month or more.  Works great with flies as well... G-Luck