Flighty steer. Would like some input

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortii

So I sold a pretty decent looking steer to a family. A 16 year old girl is showing the steer. The problem is that the steer is absolutely scared of everything when he is at a show. You can tell that he is super tense when he is walking to the ring and at the last show he got away from her while we were in the make up ring a couple times. I told the family if he is going to be like that at every show that it wouldn't upset me if he didn't get shown, the last thing I want is for somebody to get hurt, but they are pretty persistent on wanting to show him.

So my question is, are there any LEGAL things that they could feed him to take the edge off, or are there any tricks they could do at home to make him less flighty?

flacowman

rinse him EVERY day, push him to the limits of his tolerance at home, EVERY DAY and pray for them every day.  Washing has always calmed our flighty ones down almost unbelievably, and maybe get them to take him to a couple shows and tie him as close to the action as they can and just make him tolerate it all weekend long.

texas111

Have the people load the animal up a couple times a month and haul him to different places.  unload him and work with him for a while.  a sort of practice for show.  leave the animal there as you wold for a show for a couple of days.  after a while the animal should get use to the hauling and being in different locations and calm down.  its an all nature alternative.  good luck.