Flying B Cut Above aka "Fat Butt"

Help Support Steer Planet:

Gators Rule

Has anyone noticed the new Fall EPD's on Fat Butt (Flying B Cut Above)?  I realize ASA changed their numbers around, but that does seem like not so nice changes in CE and BW.  I have 5 cows bred to him, and even though I'm in Florida, it has me scratching my head, wondering if I screwed up.....

When ASA issued their latest Fall EPD's, he went from:

CE  BW  WW  YW    MCE  MM  MWW  CW  YG    MARB  BF    REA  API  TI
5.1  1.4  25.5  43.4  5.1    1.4    14.2  -9.7  0.01  0.17  0.01  -0.09 109  64

to:

CE  Brth  Wean  Year  MCE  Milk  MWW  CW    YG      Marb    BF    REA    API    TI
2.5    3.7    55.0    76.6    4.1  21.2  48.6    21.0  -0.24  0.11  -0.09  0.19    95.9  55.1

ASA averages:
CE  Brth  Wean  Year  MCE  Milk    MWW  CW      YG      Marb    BF        REA    API    TI
7.5  2.6    63.9      91.0  9.8  22.3    54.3    27.6    -0.26    0.07  -0.058    .59      106    62

GR

Simmgal

I bred him to a heifer and had no problems and the calf was one of the smallest in the bunch. But it depends on the cow and diet as well.

Biomurph

We have calved out several Fat Butts over the course of the last two years with no problems (3 were heifers).  Obviously, (and since you are mentioning this, you know about it) you will need to keep an eye on them since his CE number has dropped....someone has had trouble. Best of luck and I do like our Fat Butt calves. 

djbsimmy

The sim calving ease numbers dropped because they are sharing epd's with red angus.  Notice how much the WW and YW went up.  I think its simply that simmental's are on average larger then red angus and thats what the numbers are reflecting.

redsimmsnangus

Alot of the ASA averages changed, but if you look back to the Spring 2012 averages, CE did not, it was 7.5 and still is 7.5.  So I would call the drop significant.

Gators Rule

I had one of the cows calve while I was away in Wyoming, and required a vet and a set of chains.  GRANTED, the cow was a week overdue, the cow is also 50% of the equation, and I was not here, so whether I would have callled a vet or not is not known.  Bottom line is my wife acted appropriately by calling the vet.    I hope this is an isolated case, as 3 of the 4 remaining cows...are first calf heifers.  No more Cut Above's due until mid December.  I like what I see with Fat Butt, but the first calf set me back a notch or two...  i will withhold judgement until all 5 are here. 

Gators Rule

Calf #2 came today....with assistance required.  This was a first calf heifer, and she needed chains.  Good looking bull calf, but calved hard.  A couple more FB's to go.

firesweepranch

Gators Rule said:
Calf #2 came today....with assistance required.   This was a first calf heifer, and she needed chains.   Good looking bull calf, but calved hard.   A couple more FB's to go.

Good luck with the rest, keep us updated.

Gargan

thanks for the update, i too have a 1st calver clubby bred hfr (paddy o x alias) due to him in feb, she is a little older tho, she was born in august of 2010 and i held her over to be a spring calver. but i will def be watching her.