Flying B Cut Above "Fat Butt"

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dyer Show cattle

I saw fatt butt this spring at nichols and I think he is prob the best purebred bull i have ever seen in person. He looks like a tank and moves good. I picked up some straws that day and have not figured out what I want to try him on yet. Im thinking some of my young clubby cows but didnt want to try him on heifers. So this year i am planning on using it up. As for climax dont like him so much, I don't know if I saw him on a bad day because I was looking at a bull across the alley from him and he acted like if there was no gate there I was his lunch. And for a bull like that I would be looking for heifers to keep and if they have that kind of temperment they have only one name at my place.....hamburger. I like to make hamburger and dont like cows/bulls that try and make me hamburger.

olsun

I stopped at Nichols yesterday and looked at the bulls there. Fat Butt is a good looking bull. Big boned, sound and good moving. I guess if I were to change him, I might say that he as a little round in his muscle pattern. Overall, a darn nice Simmy bull. I did see 2 bulls there that I liked better. Just my opinion, but I was really pleased with Stands Alone and the Angus bull Dark Horse.

SEA

I also, spoke with Willie Morris on the phone.  I have a cow I an considering flushing to him.  However, Willie told me that he has been frame scored at least 3 times since he was young and has always measured a 6 frame right on.  This would be great for allot of cows.  But, I donor is an OCC Anchor daughter that is on the smaller side.  In the past, she has thrown replacement heifers that are too small framed when mated to smaller framed bulls.  i.e. breeding her back to other Ohlde genetics.  My question is...is he to small framed for me to use on this cow?

showsteerdlux

SEA said:
I also, spoke with Willie Morris on the phone.  I have a cow I an considering flushing to him.  However, Willie told me that he has been frame scored at least 3 times since he was young and has always measured a 6 frame right on.  This would be great for allot of cows.  But, I donor is an OCC Anchor daughter that is on the smaller side.  In the past, she has thrown replacement heifers that are too small framed when mated to smaller framed bulls.  i.e. breeding her back to other Ohlde genetics.  My question is...is he to small framed for me to use on this cow?
I think you would be fine. Not going to have a framey calf, but I'd say you could safely say he would add to the OCC height.

GLZ

Any more calves on the ground out of him?  Any pictures of calves not in ads?

SEA

LostFarmer said:
He spent one spring in Idaho on the Bar 11 farm.  They are a little place in Sugar City/ Teton Idaho.  They had close to 30 calves born this spring and yes those calves are for real.  He is a good out cross to most of the popular simmi genetics of today.  I bred 5 units this spring now we will see if they stuck.  One of the heifers from Idaho won her class at the NAILE.  There are also several ET flush siblings from a subsequent breeding.  LF

To: Lost Farmer,

Could you give us some info?

Are you saying that there are "Full Siblings" to Fat Butt?  Who owns them?  What are there names?  How old are they?  How do they compare to Fat Butt?

SEA

Has anyone heard any reports on sexed semen sales on Fat Butt?

Willie told me earlier in the year, that there would be some sexed female semen sold only at some select Frozen Semen and Embryo Sales.  Has anyone heard if there has been any sexed semen from Fat Burtt sold, and at what price?

Also, where is there any sexed semen coming up for sale, yet this spring, that you are aware of?

firesweepranch

I saw him at two different sales, Denver being one of them, and he averaged over $600 a straw, if I remember correctly!!  <party>

Till-Hill

For $600 a starw wouldn't you be better off to use conventional semen and abort the unwanted pregnacy's and breed her again? That's a bit extreme.

Telos

My good friend in Iowa recently saw FB and also said he was his new favorite bull of all times. His outcross genetics alone makes him valuble, IMO.

How much is semen?

Till-Hill

Beef guys get all caught up in this 5ml straw stuff. People have been flushing cows for a long time with great results on the regular 1/2 and 1/4 cc straws. I myself flushed a heifer last year with sexed female 1/4 cc In Dew Time semen that was $40/straw and I put 4 in her and got 3 #1 eggs  that I implated and we threw the rest because I couldn't afford the freezing costs and ended up with 2 heifers. Use 4-5 straws of 1/4cc  sexed straws and many people only use 1 straw of conventional unsexed 1/2cc straws for a flush and save yourself some money.

jackpotcattle

Till-Hill said:
Beef guys get all caught up in this 5ml straw stuff. People have been flushing cows for a long time with great results on the regular 1/2 and 1/4 cc straws. I myself flushed a heifer last year with sexed female 1/4 cc In Dew Time semen that was $40/straw and I put 4 in her and got 3 #1 eggs  that I implated and we threw the rest because I couldn't afford the freezing costs and ended up with 2 heifers. Use 4-5 straws of 1/4cc  sexed straws and many people only use 1 straw of conventional unsexed 1/2cc straws for a flush and save yourself some money.

We put enough expenses into embryo work semen would be the last place we are willing to take a short cut. And I would be extremely disappointed with 3 eggs. How many unfertilized did you have? I guess IMO you spent more money by not freezing the embryos you threw away. I look at it like cost of gain....the cheaper you can put it on the more you can make on the backside.

Till-Hill

Jackpot cattle I agree with you 100% that you shouldn't skimp on semen but I would never use one straw in a flush when I could spread 3-4 straws out over 16-24 hour period. There is no need to spend $600 on one unit of sexed semen when you can spend $150 on 3-4 units of 1/4cc straws. My flush was on an unproven heifer and well yes if I could have afforded it I would have froze them. At the time I couldn't. And idk who your flush guy is but the average number of eggs harvested on a flush even at a world class place like Trans Ova is still 0! More times than not you will get 0 pregnancies. And more times than not you will get a bunch of non-fertiles. It's the way of life. If you have never had a flush go with 0 pregnancies or some non fertiles you are one lucky SOB. Some ET vets charge by the pregnancy like mine did and I told him I only had 5-6 recips and he only liked 3 of them and picked 3 of the eggs to put in and that's what I had to pay for. Some charge just a flat rate for drugs and the recovery part.

nobody

Telos said:
My good friend in Iowa recently saw FB and also said he was his new favorite bull of all times. His outcross genetics alone makes him valuble, IMO.

How much is semen?
Can you elaborate on that please as far as his genetics? What makes his sexed semen worth so much?  We are some what new and are just this year getting our second calf crop on the ground.  We were insterested in this bull but $600....  is this normal prices or is this bull that good?