foot rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

A really bad case? I would use either Nuflor or Excenel, then also Sustain 111 sulfa boluses, clean the hoof really well with water, put alot of koppertox on it for a few days, and put calf in a dry area. If needed, a second dose of Nuflor or excenel if doesn't improve in three days.

blackdiamond

I have to comment.. antibodics won't do you much, if any good on foot rot, spoken from someone who has a serious footrot problem in most years.

the best things I have found: formaldahyde foot soaking: cleaning, trimming and soaking the foot in the sulfa or terramyacin: or added iodine and selenium in the mineral. 

ejoe326

Why won't an antibiotic work on foot rot? 

We have had a bit of foot rot the past few years.  Cows treated with only at the hoof took far longer to respond than those treated with Exceed or ResFlor in combination with working on the hoof.  We have 3 outstanding vets and this is what they recommended.

We are using a mix of linco, vinegar, and water.  The neighbor is a dairy guy and has been using that for a long time.  It will also work well on hairy heel warts. 

blackdiamond

ejoe326 said:
Why won't an antibiotic work on foot rot? 

We have had a bit of foot rot the past few years.  Cows treated with only at the hoof took far longer to respond than those treated with Exceed or ResFlor in combination with working on the hoof.  We have 3 outstanding vets and this is what they recommended.

We are using a mix of linco, vinegar, and water.  The neighbor is a dairy guy and has been using that for a long time.  It will also work well on hairy heel warts.   

the parlor cleaning acid works best on these...

footrot is a fungus that thrives without oxygen, and it basically kills away the tissue of the hoof.  If you don't cut away the killed part, and allow oxygen into the hoof, it's not going to work.

Tell my bank account that's spend thousands o n antibodics that everyone 'told' me would work on footrot-- I bet it will argue. 

ejoe326

Not sure what you were using or why it didn't work.  Foot rot is an organism in the soil.  A simple google search will show you it is most definitely an infection with the recommended treatment being antibiotics.  Nuflor is labeled for foot rot so I am confident treating with antibiotics will work if used as directed.  Of course I am not a vet but follow the direction of vets. 

We used the foot rot vaccine a couple of years ago and did see a drop in numbers.  But our vets said not to use it 2 years in a row because they were not impressed with effectiveness after the first year. 

The parlor cleaning acid most definitely did not work on this dairy.  They ended up with more problems because it was so harsh.  We have had a few cases and used Exceed and the spray, wrapped the foot, and sprayed again and left it open.  It works really well for us.

We did switch to a custom mix mineral that is similar to a fescue mineral and use it year round.  That has helped as well. 

farmin female

Black Diamond, maybe you're talking about something different.  Foot rot, as I know it,  is an infection in the foot and possibly the lower leg.  Like any infection, it can kill an animal if left untreated.  I don't have any idea how you would "cut away" the infected part since you would be hacking away at skin, bone and muscle tissue.  Our cattle are on irrigated pastures all summer so we do get a case or two a year.  We treat with antibiotics as soon as possible.  If you catch it early and are in a position where you can treat the animal easily, start with LA200.  There are better - but more expensive -alternatives as mentioned above.  

shortyjock89

Not sure why Excede, NuFlor, LA-200, and lots of other long-acting antibiotics are labeled for use on foot rot if they dont work at all?

blackdiamond

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Not sure why Excede, NuFlor, LA-200, and lots of other long-acting antibiotics are labeled for use on foot rot if they dont work at all?

For the same reason that regular PENN isn't anyone's first choice of antiboditic anymore for serious problems... 

Instead we progressed to Zactrin, Draxxin, Baytril, and that newest one I can never remember the name of. 

shortyjock89

Baytril is like excede's baby brother. Nuflor and draxxin are both a little harsh but effective.

blackdiamond

Baytril is like excede's baby brother. Nuflor and draxxin are both a little harsh but effective.
and your point?  Following your logic, they're all the same, thus we should only need one, not each... 

blackdiamond

And according to yours, none of them work.

on footrot they don't...  but they do on other ailments. 

my medicine of choice for pneumonia isn't Penn, it's Baytril, or Draxxin on the hard cases...  So why would I recommend using an antibiotic on footrot, when there is a better solution?

ejoe326

Is DL still around? 

I don't know if you were using stuff that sat in the sun for a year or you missed the cow when you gave the shot or what.  But I know for a fact a cow treated with NuFlor or Excede will have a faster recovery.  I also know I don't have the only cows in the country where any of these drugs works on foot rot.

Your initial claim that foot rot is not an infection makes me think you have other strengths besides treating foot rot.

ejoe326

I am not sure where you get any "support" that foot rot is not an infection, and antibiotics do not work from the article you posted.

It said spontaneous recovery "may" occur.  Maybe your're confused about what an antibiotic is or isn't?  Because CTC is still an antibiotic as far as I know.  Trying to help you out here because this really isn't making any sense!