foot rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

ia girl

I have a two month old Unstoppable baby that has foot rot.  It has blown out once.  It started to drain again but has closed back up.  He has been given 3 rounds of Draxin and Resflor, and one dose of Excede with another to follow on Friday.  I soak it once a day in Iodine and soap for 20 min.  It is still swollen above his dew claws and on one side of hoof.  Any suggestions??  I thought about giving him some Sustain III boluses.    I have been keeping in touch with the vet but they have not physically seen him.

obie105

We had a bull get foot rot and since we were having a tough time getting rid of it he came and gave a shot a micotil. I would never give one because of the risks but it cleared it right up. Is he in a dry pen? I know in some areas it has been very wet. Personally I would have a vet take a look.

hamburgman

Doesn't sound like you are dealing with footrot from the antibiotic history.  Penicillin cures 90% of foot rot cases and you hit him with way more powerful stuff.  I suspect a cracked toe or a heel ulcer/bruise.  Are you sure he didn't injure some tendons, ligaments or muscles.  Look for symmetry from the rear to help you find clues.

frostback

I agree with Hamburgerman, with it not being footrot. I have never seen one with swelling above the dew claws from footrot, especially with the drugs you have already giving. Where did "it blow out" at? What came out when it was draining? I would get the vet out to see the calf. I like Epsom's salts to soak in, if anything is in it, it will help bring it out.

ia girl

The foot became swollen, then on second day it blew out right above hoove on the inside.  I called the vet and started him on Resflor.  Started soaking it in the Epson salts, iodine and Exidine soap.  Swelling never went down and the sore closed up.  Then gave the Draxin and Reflor for 2 doses.  It has opened up only once more but not much drainage. He is on dry lot at this time with his mom,  they were out in pasture with all the rain before swelling showed up.  He is eating and doing all other things he should do.  The sore is still there but not open.  I am not sure how to tell if there is tendon or ligament problem.  The swelling is just above inside hoove and goes up above the dew claws.

Latest posts